Hope you all are having a great Holiday Season, however it is that you celebrated!
Thursday, December 29, 2011
Hope you all are having a great Holiday Season, however it is that you celebrated!
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Sean the day he was born, December 28th, 2006.
He was born at 4:44 am, 5 lbs 5 oz.
On his first birthday, in 2007.
His 2nd birthday, in 2008.
His 3rd birthday in 2009.
His 4th birthday in 2010.
And this morning on his 5th birthday.
He got spoiled with some puzzles (3d Spongebob, a Star Wars & a Transformers puzzle that each came with an action figure too), 3 different sets of Thomas the Train Tracks (which we spent all morning putting together an entire huge track in my bedroom (will post about that soon, it was quite awesome!) and a Martin Brodeur Team Canada goalie figurine (which is his fave part of his present he says).
I cannot believe my first born is five today. FIVE! Such a big number. I still feel like I just brought him home from the hospital yesterday. (Let alone 2 more boys after him). He had a party with some friends a few weeks back, and a handful of those friends actually slept over. He had a blast! Sean is a smart, energetic, amazing person, and I am so glad that he is my son. Mommy & daddy love you! xo
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
For: Sean (to match his winter jacket)
Yarn: Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash in Green Apple & Black
Timeline: December 15-26, 2011
(Though really only a couple of hours, but my knitting time is limited these days).
Modifications & Notes: Cast on 100 sts, after trying with 80 sts and it being too small. I re-cast on, and did 5 rows of the chart, and it’s just just fitting for (almost!) 5 year old Sean. I also changed it up and did 2x2 ribbing for 10 rows before starting the chart. I don't love color work, but this was easy in the end.
- Love this picture.
- Love this tutorial for salt dough ornaments. Definitely need to make some with the kids for next Christmas.
- These chickpea latkes look yummy! So do these latkes!
- Love these Popsicle stick ornaments!- And this tiny little santa hat knitted ornament.
- If you have a digital reader, you can get a 1 year free digital subscription to Cosmopolitan Magazine by filling out the form here. (Not sure when it expires, so sign up fast!) And after I signed up for that, zinio.com sent me a 25$ credit towards any other magazine, and I chose 2 Knitting Magazines (single issues) and Crochet Accessories 2011 (single issue). In the end that cost me just under 5$, but had money in my paypal account so it really didn't cost me anything and it was extremely worth it!
- Love the weebles! I had never heard of them before (apparently they're making a comeback too!) Quentin received between his birthday & Xmas, the playground (which seems to be on sale this week for Boxing Day on Amazon.com, but they don't ship to Canada), the Sports Weebles pack, the airplane, and the tug boat. These weebles are fun to play with!
- Send a free pack of kleenex to someone!
- I love this color.
- Love this free cowl pattern.
- Yes, that's what I love.
- This is an awesome button bowl.
- My kids would LOVE these.
- Too bad I can't wear heels, these shoes are stunning!
- Love this tub!
- Love these lego party ideas. Especially these lego bowls.
- What a stunning cake!
- These are some darling red boots.
- I totally want a drink clip!
- This is so true.
- I am sure my boys would LOVE an ultimate LEGO room!
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Santa has come to visit, milk, cookies & carrots for the reindeer have been left out by the fireplace. The kids are going to be super surprised when they wake up tomorrow!
We celebrate both Chanukah & Christmas. I hung some dreidles on our tree. Next year, I plan to knit up some handmade ornaments (I thought about it this year, but ran out of time).
And we’ve been lighting the menorah each night. There are just a few nights left of Chanukah. Things have been busy around here, and while the holidays are fun, I can’t wait until after the holidays, so we can sit back & relax.
If you celebrate Chanukah – HAPPY CHANUKAH! If you celebrate Christmas – MERRY CHRISTMAS! Happy Holidays to all of my wonderful readers. Hope you get spoiled this Christmas! Some of you may have had a tough year in 2011, so let’s be grateful for what we have.
Monday, December 19, 2011
- This macro iphone lens is quite neat.
- Very fun image!
- This blog post gave me a little chuckle.
- Love this image.
- I love these crochet owls.
- What a genius way to gift for family. Want, Need, Wear & Read.
- Want to try this recipe for lasagna soup.
- Love these 10 simple ideas for gift wrapping.
- Ideas for selvedge - neat!
- Adorable ruffled christmas trees!
- I LOVE cinnamon, and love this cinnamon stick candle craft.
- Love this christmas ball wreath tutorial.
- Love this Beary Cute Hat tutorial.
- Love this acorn hat tutorial.
- These are fun meal ideas!
- I LOVE gingerbread (must resist)... but here are 38 gingerbread ideas!
- Whole wheat blender pancake recipe.
- We have been getting sick of fish the "same old way", so here's an idea to change up how I prepare salmon.
- A fun hair tutorial!
- Wow, this is hysterical!
- It's been getting cold here lately, that I've been wanting chicken soup.
- Homemade playdoh recipe.
- Loving this song.
- Love these adorable free Christmas labels.
(I'm hoping after the holidays to get back on track with getting them up for the morning! Things have been quite busy here chez Knit & Purl Mama!)
Saturday, December 17, 2011
Since Christmas Eve is on a Saturday night, there is a good chance that we indeed will have a fire going, so we will have to promise Mackenzie that we will make sure the fire is well put out before midnight, so that Santa Clause can come down the chimney and bring him toys. I guess that means we'll have to leave out cookies for him too? And a glass of milk, of course. He's got to be able to wash down those cookies!
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Look what arrived in the mail yesterday. No, unfortunately you cannot get your own copy of this, it was a special treat just for me. You see, I renewed my subscription, and they let me make my own cover for the December issue. (Just the cover, the rest of the magazine is as it is on stands). I had completely forgotten about this too - until it arrived in the mail yesterday! I plan on getting the cover put on a plaque or something to hang up in my office. It's just so cute not to! (And the titles they had on the cover for options, totally suited my kids!)
Monday, December 12, 2011
- I love this "first year" canvas.
- I love these 25 clever ideas to make your life easier!
- Adorable 1st birthday onesie.
- I love this fork bracelet!
- Love this no sew infinity scarf!
- I'm loving this hair do.
- This is awesome!
- This tote bag is awesome.
- How perfect would this be for Valentine's Day?
- I'm admiring this lovely reading nook.
- I love the crap baskets & the PVC pipe gate in this blog post.
- Love these yarn words.
- I love these earrings. I want to buy them. Must resist.
- Love this charm pack quilt.
- I need to get dinners organized with this. WOAH!
- Awesome disappearing 9 patch.
- I love this Pin Cushion pattern.
- I love this onesie - so cute!
- I love this Christmas tree!
- Love this iPad case.
- 25 Handmade gifts under 5$.
- Love this birthday board idea!
- Love this photo wall!
- What a stunning maternity photo.
- Love this idea for a Caprese Salad on a stick!
- Easy lunch box ideas!
- STUNNING PHOTO!
- Easy chocolate truffles!
Sunday, December 11, 2011
I’ve been having some knitting whoopses lately. First, when I started this hat, for Sean, I wasn’t paying attention to what I was doing, and started knitting the wrong way back on a row (in the round), so one side started to grow, while the other side wasn’t. So I had to rip that out. (Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture above, I was out and only had my iphone camera – shocker, I know).
Then, I got this far, (2 repeats in), and tried it on Sean, to discover that it not only doesn’t fit Sean, but if it were in the right colors for Mackenzie, it doesn’t fit him either…. Sigh!
So, I’m back to square one. I’ve started it again, with more stitches. Let’s pray this one fits. Even advanced knitters have off moments too, you know.
Tuesday, December 06, 2011
Upon leaving the store, with Sean & Quentin, Sean says to me:
Sean: "What's the name of this store?"
Sean: "Fabric what?"
Me: "It's a fabric store, where I buy material and sewing accessories to make things".
Sean: "You're the best girl in the world."
Me: "That's so nice of you to say Sean, why do you say that?"
Sean: "Because you make me awesome things".
Awesome. My kid thinks I'm awesome. I'll remember this conversation forever.
This totally restored some of my faith in the kindness of others. While a lot of people out there lack respect and other qualities that people should have, there are still some kind people out there in this world.
I am on the lookout now for a way I can pay it forward. And I plan to do more than one act of paying it forward.
Monday, December 05, 2011
- I think I need to learn how to fold my plastic bags. Maybe they'd take up less space than they are! ( I recycle them! )
- I LOVE this Fish Hotel! I want one! Maybe for one of the kids for a birthday or the holidays? Too cute.
- Love these Transformer Cufflinks, and these Spiderman ones too. But these Captain America ones - are wicked! Too bad hubby rarely wears suits.
- Does anyone have one of these Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Apptivity Cases? Any good? Looks neat!
- I love these Colors to Go products! Fun!!!
- Love this beaded chandelier idea!
- Love this lego party lootbag idea.
- Love this playing card storage solution!
- Healthy snack ideas. After my plateau & hiatus on my diet, I'm back on the wagon. I want to lose the last of the baby weight before my 31st birthday. I can do it.
- What a great way to store wrapping paper!
- This fruit salad with baked cinnamon chips is making me very hungry!
- This quilt caught my eye.
- I love this play tent tutorial.
- I love this marble & tee game idea.
- These little crochet boots are beyond adorable!
- These santa hat brownies look easy to make, and super delicious! I might just have to make them for the school Xmas party...! (even though I said I'd be bringing chips this time! HA!)
Sunday, December 04, 2011
I tried a new recipe this week :: Stuffed Peppers.
While it took a lot longer than I anticipated to make, the end result was worth it.
It was beyond yummy! And leftovers the next day for lunch was great too! I will definitely make this again, and I hope to try to make one new recipe a week (as long as time permits). My cookbook? The Internet! There are SO many great recipes out there. Where to begin?
Saturday, December 03, 2011
Sean was goalie today. Every game they rotate which kid on the team is goalie. He had a BLAST! His team won 2-1. I was so proud of him, his first time in nets. He recently got moved up to the next level since he was too good for the level he was in. I'm so unbelievable proud of him. He has dreams to play in the NHL. Let's see if he can make his dreams come true!
Thursday, December 01, 2011
Yesterday, was a day of too many firsts.
You are growing up way too fast for my liking.
Please slow it down.
On his first birthday yesterday:
First time forward facing in the car.
(I think he was more confused than anything!)
First big boy bath in the bathroom.
And first time standing unassisted, for more than a second. This picture I captured, I think he stood for a good 10-15 seconds, because he went to grab another toy, and plopped down.
- Knit and Purl Mama
- I am a 30-something mom who knits, and takes pictures, a lot. I am a mother to 3 adorable boys, Sean (Dec 2006), Mackenzie (June 2008) & Quentin (Nov 2010). This is my journey through motherhood, photography, the books I read, life in general and knitting, of course. Oh, and other crafts too!
- ► 2015 (29)
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (93)
- ► 2012 (206)
- ▼ December (16)
- ► 2010 (363)
- ► 2009 (367)
- ► 2008 (366)
- ► 2007 (410)
- ► 2006 (425)