Saturday, March 31, 2012
Friday, March 30, 2012
I have been doing some thrifting lately, and have been finding some good items in very good condition. I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite, and best finds.
The best find, was this Ergo baby carrier, in MINT condition! I washed it in my washing machine, and it's all sanitized (because who knows where it's been). I got this for beyond inexpensive at a whole whopping 6.99$. This carrier starts at 129.99$ retail. I cannot believe someone donated it to the thrift store...! I have been wanting an ergo for a while (discovered them I think after Mack was born, but could never justify spending 130$+ on a baby carrier. When I saw this one, for 6.99$, I didn't care what color it was! (My first pick would have been black, since it goes with everything, but for 6.99$ I wasn't complaining and at least with green, it is neutral. I don't think I would have purchased it if it were pink... not for carrying a boy!)
It also came with this piece. I'm going to assume it's the "newborn" insert. However, upon inspecting the Ergo website, the newborn insert looks different, so maybe they've revamped the shape of it recently? Does any of you know if this is indeed for newborn support, or what it's actual purpose is? I'm keeping the piece, for when Quentin outgrows the carrier (which is good until 40 lbs, and he's only about 23 lbs or so, now, so I've got quite the usage time left in this new find).
Through a garage sale, I scored an entire box full of Habs stuff for the boys, and they've decorated their room with the items, and were in Habs haven. Since they already have a Habs clock in their room the NHL clock that was in this lot, is now hung in our playroom. Perfect spot for it, we actually needed a clock in there. It was good timing. I got the entire lot for 10$. (The clock alone is worth about 30$!)
Besides finding a few hotwheel cases like these at the thrift store, I also found this awesome one in the shape of a wheel, which was quite neat. The boys cars were all over the house, so we've managed to get them all stored in these cases and we don't trip over any more cars anymore. That makes me one happy mama! I found all the cases for around 2.99 each, except this smaller wheel one, which I think was a bit less, (did not find them all at the same time, it was upon different trips to the thrift store), when they retail 15$ each in the store. I was quite happy with these savings!
One time at the thrift store, I found this new in box beading loom. Since I've been interested in weaving, I thought maybe I'd try my hand at beading too! Now, just to find more hours in the day, would be nice (to accomplish all these creative ideas I have in my head!) I got this baby for 2$ and was quite pleased.
I found this beautiful wooden menorah (the feathers of the peacock where the candles go in, actually swivel, it's quite neat), for 2$ at the Salvation Army.
Next up is this lovely spinning wheel! It's really tiny, and I love it. I just need to find the perfect spot to display it in my office. I can't believe that I found this for 2.99$. It's just the cutest thing ever. And perfect for my office! Any knitter would appreciate this.
And lastly, ever since Sean watched a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie while we were at the hospital back in January after his allergic reaction, he's been asking me about them. And since my mother could only find figurines with missing limbs from my brother's childhood in her storage space, I was so happy to have found a bunch of Ninja Turtles as well at the thrift store. I think I paid maybe 5$ in total for all these (plus a few that are not pictured in this photo, as the kids ran off with them before I got a chance to snap the photo). I think Sean's fave turtle is the one in the right hand side of the back row, decked out with a hockey jersey & skates! It's just missing the hockey stick that was not with it in the thrift store.
Do you thrift shop? If so, what were your best/fave finds? Do share!
Thursday, March 29, 2012
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
I brought along my booster seat, so we could strap him down, and he did quite well. He didn't flinch or cry once. We were shocked on how much of an angel he was.
Monday, March 26, 2012
- I had no idea that Crayola came out with Dry Erase crayons? How neat!
- I love owls. Here's a free crochet pattern.
- I think it's no fair that cats can sleep wherever they want.
- These images are funny. But cruel at the same time?
- Funny pictures of musicians playing sports!
- Think I might have to make some Sesame Street Cupcakes for Quentin's 2nd birthday!
- Also, some Angry Bird birthday party ideas, maybe for one of my older boys. Speaking of Angry Birds, isn't this cake awesome?
- This is a crazy lego cake. Ok, now I want to eat cake! (And I'm doing sooooo well losing weight right now... maybe I should stop looking at cake images!) And these easy lego cookies, I might have to try those too.
- I totally think I have to try this for my iphone contacts!
- I totally need to make a book storage for the boys for the back row of the car.
- Cucumber noodles? Hmmmm?!
- I think Sean would totally love these Phineas & Ferb Sandwiches!
- In the rare free time I do get - I'm totally HOOKED on Draw Something!
- Some great discovery activities for one year olds!
- What a great storage idea for the craft room!
- Ok, I really must stop looking at cakes online. This board game one is just beyond awesome!
- I have been listening to this song by Gotye over and over again. Love this cover version as well!
- Another little knitted bunny pattern - just before Easter creeps up this weekend.
- Love the idea to make meatloaf in a muffin pan- it cooks in 15 minutes! Must try!
- What about a dino party?! Looks like fun! (In party planning mode, Mack's turning 4 soon!)
- Looking to make a quick baby shower gift? Why not try this easy blanket tutorial.
- Pool noodle under fitted sheet: solution to keep a toddler in the toddler bed! ~ So clever!
- I totally love this subtraction poem!
- Love these fabulous nails!
- Awwww, how cute!
- Love this fire pit!
- LOVE this cleaning trick! I wonder if the Kirkland brand dryer sheet would work just the same, that's what we use instead of Bounce.
- Love this tv turned dog bed.
- Love this DIY wasp trap.
- Very cool superhero costume!
- Love these cute nails - just in time for spring!
- Love this car emergency box tutorial.
- I'm totally loving this lampshade.
- This is one wicked Wine Decanter.
- I think ALL my boys would love these reeses krispies.
- This origami bouquet is stunning!
- Just loving these!
- Loving this owl costume.
- Cute map totes! Get your own town!
- I totally love this squirrel nutcracker!
- Loving these numbered mugs.
Friday, March 23, 2012
I finished up this adorable little knit. It really was a quick knit. I used Woodchick’s modifications for newborn size. I just love the way it came out. I blocked it and it's ready to be wrapped up to be given to it's recipient.
It used 42g of Cascade Yarns 220 Quatro in purple (not sure if that's the official colorway name or not) on US 7 (4.5mm) needles. I did use a larger needle to bind off (US 9).
I loved making this so much, I've already cast on another one. I don't think it'll be my last either. They're so much fun to make. The nice thing about this garment, is for a newborn, if it's a winter baby, you can throw a long sleeved onesie under it, and it's perfect for winter as well.
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
I whipped up a bunch of these spiral scrubbies recently. They're a lot of fun to make. I think I will be making some more. I used Bernat Cotton yarn, (took only 16g per scrubbie) and used an H hook to make them. I followed this lovely youtube video, which is written in the pattern and voila, now I know how to make them off by heart! They're so easy to make. I can see myself making a ton of these for teacher gifts to go along with some nice body wash or something. I hope the teachers wouldn't think that I think they smell or something, if I make them a bunch of these. They're just too cute.
You know you want to make some too.
They're totally addictive.
My step-MIL has already requested some too.
I was extremely disappointed to find a knot in the skein. No fun!
Monday, March 19, 2012
- Love this cute little knitted Easter Bunny (free pattern).
- Tiny little cute knitted bunnies! (Free pattern).
- Love this Easter egg garland.
- These little knitted chicks are adorable!
- Easy Easter crafts, turning cups into animals.
- I know I've shown these before, but they're so perfect for Easter! Carrot Goldfish bags.
- Everybody needs a pair of chick slippers.
- Love this little knitted egg ornament.
- Cute Easter card idea.
- Love these Easter photography prop ideas.
- These S'Mores are fun and colourful. Make them using your leftover Peeps from easter.
- These are cute Easter cupcakes with vanilla candy egg.
- Love these cute cupcakes too!
- Love these little bird nests.
- One great way to say happy Easter is with paper-envelope rabbits -- bearing treats, of course.
- What a fun Easter tradition! Egged!
- Egg dye using fruits and vegetables- neat!
- I love these button covered eggs!
- Bunny mask template - DIY - so cute!
- Too bad this is too girly for my boys, but this crochet easter basket is cute.
- A cute way to countdown to Easter!
- Love this little basket made out of twine.
- What an adorable baby in the adorable bunny hat.
- Love this Easter Egg cake tutorial.
- Lastly, I leave you with 101 Handmade Easter craft ideas.
Sunday, March 18, 2012
We will continue swimming lessons through the summer as well, I like to keep that going all year round. This summer once hockey ends, Sean has requested to play baseball and Mack would like to try out soccer. Should make for a busy summer season! Cheers to sports!
Saturday, March 17, 2012
Friday, March 16, 2012
I started a 3rd Girl’s cap sleeve spring shirt, back in 2010. I had made 2 larger ones before this one (one for the gift pile, and one for a friend’s daughter’s 1st birthday that we attended in 2010). Originally, I wanted to make this for the daughter we were told we were having, but since 3 days after casting on, I found out we were actually having a boy, the yarn, left wound, with a few rows done, got put into hibernation. Now, I have a slew of friends pregnant, and I am very excited to finish up this project.
I will pull out a newborn onesie from the boys memory box, one of the 3 boys should have one in their box, and I will bind off when I get to the end of the newborn onesie, just before the “decreased” material section where you snap it up. I think that will be a good length for a newborn girl cap sleeve spring shirt. The pattern is not actually written up in newborn size, the smallest size in the pattern is a 3-5T, so I am using Woodchick’s modifications for newborn size. The yarn, for those who are wondering, is Cascade 220 Quattro in a really nice purple. Luckily, the recipient is knowledgeable in 100% wool and proper washing care. I can so see myself making a handful more of these. It’s just so cute so far.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Here's my 12 on 12 post for yesterday. The photos were actually taken yesterday, I didn’t miss 12 on 12, I just missed blogged about it yesterday evening. (Daylight savings time has messed us up a bit, and I’m a tad behind on a few things. I hate losing time, especially when you wish there were more hours in each day!)
- Love this knitted clock!
- Free bottle cap jewelry tutorial with printables!
- Love these DIY zipper pull earrings.
- This video made me laugh so hard.... das skein!
- Thinking about picking up some Try-it-On Tubing - has anyone tried them? Any good? Genius idea if so!
- Love these handmade toddler ideas.
- Have the best apps delivered to your email with Appsmitten. I just signed up!
- I can't stop watching this live penguin cam. I heart penguins!!!!! I love the ones that slide on their bellies!
- The no bread cucumber sandwiches look yummy. I couldn't find the exact recipe, though they shouldn't be hard to come up with something similar.
- These watches are awesome. I'd love this one.
- The Defibrillator Toaster. Wouldn't it be funny to run into the kitchen screaming: “WE’RE LOSING THEM!!! BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEPBEEP!”
- This is a pretty cool chair! So is this one!
- The babes are so cute.
- Some St. Patty's day fruit kabobs!
- I need to stop looking at chocolate mint patties if I want to lose the last of the baby weight. No harm in looking right?
- What a great idea for crayon storage. No more cheap flimsy boxes falling apart in my diaper bag. I am sure I have an extra wipe case lying around.
- This is a genius idea for tiny toy pieces.
- Love these paper flower paintings.
- I totally want a dock for my home office.
- This is totally a neat idea for those summer BBQs:: Condiment storage!
- I totally love this print.
- Baby quilt tutorial.
- I totally love this car carryall pattern!
- Love this idea for spelling.
- Love this DIY draped skirt.
- No Child Without - waiting to get Sean's pin so that I can register him for a medical alert bracelet, through his school. Check to see if your child's school is doing this program, it's fantastic! (Thank you to my blog reader Lindsay for the link - I don't have your email address to thank you! Not sure who you are, your profile isn't linked to your comments)
- This crochet hat is so cute. Anyone know of a pattern for it?
- Love these crochet flower rings.
- Need to learn the Granny Spike Stitch!
- Love this crochet receiving blanket tutorial.
Saturday, March 10, 2012
- Knit and Purl Mama
- I am a 30-something mom who knits, and takes pictures, a lot. I am a mother to 3 adorable boys, Sean (Dec 2006), Mackenzie (June 2008) & Quentin (Nov 2010). This is my journey through motherhood, photography, the books I read, life in general and knitting, of course. Oh, and other crafts too!
- ► 2015 (29)
- ► 2014 (63)
- ► 2013 (93)
- Baby Knits Continued
- Thrifting Finds
- Mack’s Little Concert
- Handsome Little Man
- Monday Morning Link Love
- Little Tiny Knits
- Spiral Scrubbies
- Monday Morning Link Love :: Easter Edition
- Happy St Patty’s Day!
- Tiny Knits
- 12 on 12
- Monday Morning Link Love :: Tuesday Edition
- 10 on 10
- Keep or Toss?
- It's my Body
- Progress with Broken Needles
- Monday Afternoon Link Love
- Allergy Testing
- Colours To Go Winners!
- ▼ March (20)
- ► 2011 (330)
- ► 2010 (363)
- ► 2009 (367)
- ► 2008 (366)
- ► 2007 (410)
- ► 2006 (425)