Tuesday, July 02, 2013

No-One Ever Has Sex On A Tuesday

I enjoyed reading No-One Ever Has Sex on a Tuesday. Tracy Bloom had me entertained with wit and humor. This took me longer to read than normal as I had some stuff going on that came up but it was a fast paced story nonetheless. This is the story of Katy Chapman who didn’t expect to walk into a pre-natal class at 8 months pregnant to find her ex-boyfriend there with his extremely pregnant wife. She hadn't seen him since they slept together about 8 months prior after a school reunion. She then realizes that it's possible that her ex-boyfriend Matthew could be the father of her child.
 
Katy, 36, hadn’t planned on getting pregnant - in fact it was the very last thing in her plan. Her boyfriend Ben is a number of years younger than her. He is a gym teacher who makes inappropriate jokes at every opportunity that he gets. He’s not really the person she had pictured spending her life with, but then again, she hasn’t pictured spending her life with anyone since things ended with Matthew, her childhood sweetheart. He broke her heart when they both started university. 

I liked Katy, and felt that she was someone I could easily be friends with if she were a real person. She has some weaknesses as a person with her decision making, but who doesn't, and that made her real & likeable. Ben, Katy's boyfriend and possible father of her child, I didn't like at first, but in the end, he grew on me with the way he twisted everything around to try to make things right to Katy. I won't give away the details, or it'll ruin the book for you, but Ben, even though he was younger than Katy, proved that younger men can be suitable boyfriends/lovers/fathers. I myself have never enjoyed dating younger men, I have a thing for older men (my husband is 5 1/2 years older than me), but this story proves that younger man could live up to being a suitable partner.

The mannerisms of both Daniel and Braindead had me laughing hysterically. Some of the British humor I understood and some of it I wasn't too sure about. I couldn't decide if I liked or hated Matthew throughout the book. I won't tell you all the details for this either as to why I couldn't decide, as it'll ruin the story for you, I hope you'll pick up a copy and read it (and for 2.87$ on amazon it's a great deal!) I also like that besides the funny moments, there were some sincere moments between the main characters as well. It was a nice balance of both in this story.

I can't wait to read the sequel to this book, No-One Ever Has Sex After A Baby. I also caught a glimpse at the end of this book of  the first 4 chapters of Tracy's next novel, Single Woman Seeks Revenge, which comes out July 19th. I can't wait to pick it up to read.

3 comments:

Celia said...

I like characters with flaws. Perfect is boring. Great review. P.S. I like older men too. Email me and I will tell you the age difference in my marriage.

Teena in Toronto said...

Sounds like a fun book. I like that she's not in her 20s.

g-girl said...

oh, this sounds like it was FUN to read!