Thursday, September 20, 2012

Place mat for Kindergarten

placemat3

Last week at Meet the Teacher night, Sean’s teacher asked us to send our child in with a place mat for them to eat their lunch on to keep the table clean. Since I went to a few stores (dollarama mainly) and couldn’t find all material ones (as his teacher requested) I decided to crochet one for him instead.

placemat1

I used a 5.0 mm (H) hook and 80 grams of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Solids & Denim in the Swimming Pool colorway. The pattern is Placemat (crochet) by Bernat Design Studio. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. The final dimensions are 14”x9.5”, which is perfect size for him to place a sandwich or whatever he has for lunch and his juice box, napkin, etc…

placemat2

While making it, it dyed my finger blue, so I’ll have to set the color in vinegar and see if that helps when I try to wash it. Has this happened to you before when working with this cotton yarn, or any yarn for that matter? Did you set the color in vinegar or try something else?

6 comments:

Celia said...

Blue fingers! I haven't had yarn bleed before, so I am curios to see what other people suggest.

Kerry said...

What a wonderful idea! Now Sean will have a little piece of you with him at school every day. Sorry about the blue fingers though. I'll be curious to hear how setting it with vinegar goes. I've never had mine bleed.

Unknown said...

I've used vinegar and hot water to set yarns like that, and then rinse really well because there may be still some extra. Blue always seems to bleed...

Taci simmons said...

That looks so cute... He wil be the most stylish kindergartner ever :) I have had a few yanks do that but it's usually hand dyed yarn... I didn't wash o.rset on vintages, but I remember my mom did when she dyed fabric... It worked. Hope it will work for you.

Caroline said...

It looks good! I'm sorry I haven't commented in so long, things have been nuts here lately :) I can't believe Sean is in Kindergarten already!

Teena in Toronto said...

Great idea! I've never had colours run while I've been knitting. Maybe it was a bad batch?