Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

halved

Last week I made spaghetti squash for the first time. It was a spaghetti squash from our garden this summer. We only got 2 squash this year, once Sean took to school for his class vegetable soup and this one was all mine! (Jamie & the kids won't eat spaghetti squash - well maybe Quentin would... I will let him try it next time I make some). First I halved it. (That was quite the job too - until I found the right knife).

prepared

Then I brushed olive oil around the sides and sprinkled on pepper & salt for taste. I then flipped them over (cut side down) and baked it at 350°F for 45 minutes.

baked

Once it came out of the oven, I scooped out the seeds (you can do this before you bake it as well - it's up to you).

spooned

And I then scooped out all the spaghetti squash. I was unsure at first, but it was pretty fun actually.

squash1

And voila - a huge bowl of spaghetti squash!

squashmeal

Topped it off with some spaghetti sauce, some Parmesan, had a friend over for lunch, and the entire thing was gobbled up! It's super light on the calories, and extremely tasty. I will definitely be making this again!

5 comments:

Julie said...

hi robyn! see im commenting! lol
I loveeeee me some spaghetti squash, only made it twice thought because i find cutting it in half is so hard! im surprised your hubby wont eat it, is he a meat and potatoes kind of guy? steve is but i got him to eat it but topping it with a very meaty tomato sauce.. i mean ok its not PASTA but its pretty good! yummmm..anyways have a good day!

Girl Knits said...

Spahetti Squash is my fave! Glad you enjoyed it too.

sapphireblue said...

Yummy!

Bea said...

Yum!

Dawn said...

Oh my gosh..that looks so good! My family probably wouldn't eat it either.