Monday, January 10, 2011

1.10.11

qnewtoyz
Quentin got a new toy today (a gift certificate purchase).
He needed something for his bounce chair,
as I can't figure out what happened to the old toys.
I think they are really cute.

quenlikestoys

He likes them too. He was whacking the duck for a bit. Not sure if he realizes what he was doing, but the duck made noise when he did it, so he continued to do it for a bit. I don't think at 6 weeks old their eye sight is still not 100% in focus, but I'm trying to stimulate him young, hopefully it will be good.

Tonight we had Blue Marlin steaks for dinner. I've never had this kind of fish before, and let me tell you, it was absolutely freakin' delicious. It was sooo tasty. I absolutely loved the texture of it as well. I definitely plan to have it again. We didn't even do anything fancy to it - just a little garlic powder, a little onion powder and some Montreal Steak Spice. We steamed some green beans and carrots, and voila... dinner! I'm seriously dreaming about the next time I can make it again (without making my household annoyed that I'm serving the same thing again). Monday nights are fish night for dinner now in our house. I started a chart, so that I don't have to panic at 5pm "what's for dinner" and I know what groceries we need for upcoming meals, etc. I'm trying to be more organized this year, and this was one of the places where I wanted to be on top of, so that we waste less money on ordering in, and we are eating healthier as well. (I'm also already dreaming of my vegetable garden and what I want to plant where, come spring).

Someone please tell me they know of a pattern (on Ravelry?) for finger gloves that the index finger "flips" off. My mother uses her index finger to use her iphone and wants a pair of gloves that will keep the rest of her fingers warm, but that she can use her iphone while walking her dog. (My parents have a beautiful fawn Great Dane named Bosco). There are patterns for mittens where the thumb flips off for texting, but I need mittens where the index finger tip is removable.

Also - does anyone know where I can find a pattern for an Android tablet with the dimensions of: 0.48" x 7.5" x 4.75". It's smaller than the ipad, and I know there is are several cozies designed out there for the ipad (like this awesome one for example). Maybe I'll have to design one myself, but I wanted to know if anyone knew of one that was already designed?

watchpopcorn

Tonight we tried out our new popcorn maker (which we got for Christmas from my sister-in-law). The boys enjoyed watching the popcorn popping as it was being made. Mack was actually in hysterics laughing. (It's amazing what amuses little kids!)

popcornpop

Today's Link Love:
-Huggies Enjoy the Ride Rewards Point: BKJZN-DXNMM-SMPGB.
- A really funny photo of Quentin on Project 365. (Look at those cheeks!)
- This game looks really neat. I can't wait for my kids to be older so we can play games like this as a family. I definitely plan to implement family game night once a week once the boys are all older.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don;t have a pattern for gloves, but I got isotoner gloves that are made to work with smartphones for Christmas. The thumb and finger have a special tip that work. I LOVE them :-)

Nicole said...

Contact Nikol of Thrifty Knitter about her pattern http://thriftyknitter.com/?p=575 it's at the bottom of this post.

Knit and Purl Mama said...

Thanks Nicole, that pattern is not really what I had in mind though. I am looking for gloves, not mittens. And ones that have a cover to completely seal the fingers from the cold. Those mittens are cute though.

Celia said...

Those bouncy chairs are so nice. My wee one has terrible reflux and can't lay flat after feedings.

IrishGirl said...

What about these? You could mod them so that the middle finger isn't open, I'm sure.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTcigar.html

=]
Bren

IrishGirl said...

You got me thinking... What if you knitted up a pair of regular gloves with a button hole at the middle joint of the index finger (on the bottom) and she just slips her finger out to text? Just use a nice stretchy yarn that will allow her to pull it over her finger. Hope this helps...

Craftyt73 said...

I remember seeing a pattern for finger gloves that had a slit in the finger (near top knuckle) that you just slipped your finger out for taking photos. Maybe you can work on that.

I also found Pure Harmony Touch Screen Gloves (Zipper) on Ravelry, it looks neat. or Iphone Gloves (Rav).

Anonymous said...

Here's a pattern I found on Ravelry:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/iphone-gloves#

Amelah said...

Biggest downfall to the IPhone - they aren't Montreal Winter friendly!

I need to be a better planner too for meals - but soon my entire eating habits might change [depending on test results] so I guess I will wing it until then and then try to get myself organized as well!

Dawn said...

Awesome popcorn maker! My boys love popcorn too!

g-girl said...

blue marlin steaks sound yummy! well, i sent you a pm via rav about a possible idea for those gloves you want to make.

Jennifer said...

You can use any glove pattern out there. Knit the glove as written, except on the index finger, when you get to about 1" from the tip of the finger, BO all the sts on the front half, then CO them back on again. Finish the finger as written. That will give you a gap that should stay closed enough when down, but you can get your finger out.

If it's not big enough, you can actually just BO the finger at that point then CO the same # of sts and knit a few rows, then knit the rest of the finger as written. Seam down 1/2 the width and because it's longer it will stay down over the finger tip.