Tuesday, March 20, 2007

March 20 of 31

My precious little one, fast asleep so cute. I wish he wasn't a stomach sleeper like his mommy though!


Someone today asked me what Habs meant when I call the Montreal Canadiens that.... so -
here is the answer:

Habs is an abbreviation of "les habitants," the informal name given to the original settlers of New France, dating back to the 17th Century. So it's a natural fit for the The Montreal Canadiens, established in 1909 and marketed as a French-Canadian hockey team. Having said that, the nickname might have been the result of an error. According to NHL.com, the first man to refer to the team as "the Habs" was Tex Rickard, owner of Madison Square Garden, in 1924. Rickard apparently told a reporter that the "H" on the Canadiens' sweaters was for "Habitants." Not true. The distinctive C-wrapped-around-H logo stands for "Club de Hockey Canadien."


We won the game - 1 to 0 against Boston! Another point to help us get closer to the playoffs - is it possible? Maybe if we keep winning! Let's go les boys! Tonight was my last set of tickets from my share of the season tickets. Maybe I'll get to go to another game IF they make it to the playoffs. Here's to hoping! I am sooo proud of myself. I didn't call once during the time Jamie & I were out to check on Sean. I knew he was/is in good hands - he was being watched by my parents - whom were overjoyed to get some time with Sean! He's their first and so far only grandchild! (It's great being the first one - eh? He's spoiled rotten I tell ya!) Sean of course behaved himself while we were out - and Jamie & I enjoyed our first date out since Sean's been born alone! It was a lot of fun. (I even got some knitting time during intermissions to finish my mom's cozy below!)

Tonight I finished my mother's camera case. 2 down 2 to go. (I've done my sister's, my mother's and I have mine and my in-law's to do - all the same). Then I've gotten a request for an Ipod cozy for my sister and an MP3 (not an Ipod not sure what it is) cozy for the hubby.... (for the hubby not in the colors of the yarn above). I have enough to make 2 more cozies from this one ball of yarn, and possibly even my sister's Ipod cozy too... This ball of yarn was very economical!

Virginia of handpainted yarns has passed away over the weekend. Above is a skein of yarn that I got in a Booty Swap I participated in around Halloween of last year. I love love love this skein. I wanted to get another one just like it - so that I can do something that requires more than 1 skein - but obviously that is out of the question now, unfortunately. It's too bad - her hand painted stuff was gorgeous!


As a Secret Pal 10 hostess, I'm having another contest for my group. Contest #1 was to have your questionnaire posted. Contest #2 is to talk about your fave knitting accessory. I figured I should do the same thing if I'm asking my group to post about theirs. My fave accessory BY FAR is stitch markers. Hence why I'm hosting a Stitch Marker Exchange. I just love love love them, and I love that you can create anything you want into a stitch marker - within reason of course. You don't want them to catch your knitting - you also don't want them to be too big or bulky. And yes, I actually collect stitch markers. I just love them. Handmade ones are the best - of course. It's just way too much fun! I'm always looking for more to add to my collection. I also love making them to sell in my Etsy shop. I've actually got a TON more to post in my online shop as soon as I get the chance to! Which hopefully should be soon! (Life with a newborn doesn't allow much time for anything and I try to squeeze everything in!) So - here's my submission for my fave knitting accessory!

7 comments:

K. said...

I had a great comment, but blogger ate it...Well...*GO HABS GO* I'll see you tonight I hope!

Robin said...

You are so good with SP contests! I still have to come up with one. Hey, we stomach sleepers rock! Why do you wish Sean wasn't one?

LeslieJ said...

Go Habs and Go Wings!!!

Barb said...

It's always nice when your able too get out for a little while is'nt it :) Your Painted Yarns yarn is really pretty, I may go to the LYS tomorrow (they stock her yarns) i'll take a peek around and see if they have any left, is it sock weight? is there a color name on the skein?

TROIS OISEAUX - Kimber said...

Glad your team won!

What a lovely collection of "markies" - I'll have to check out your shop when you get some of your creations on there.

The Hand Painted Yarns are lovely aren't they. I heard that Virginia was sick a few months ago and am sad to hear that she has passed away. I made Sprog's Bulky Tomtem out of Virgina's Lopi Spun in "September Sky", she was a talented lady.

NH Knitting Mama said...

Glad you had a good time getting out for a while.

Great contest!

Jenny said...

I am proud of my self as an American, because I knew the story of the Habs! Also, I heard you refer to them as 'les boys'. Did you ever see that movie? It is in french and was a pretty cute hockey movie. Since my husband loves to play hockey, I think we own every hockey movie ever made--including that one!