Wednesday, January 13, 2010

january thirteen :: 82 weeks old

Mack is 82 weeks old today.

Both boys stayed home today. They were both warm upon waking up. (And when I say warm, I mean boiling). I am trying to rectify the thermometer situation, as we don't have a good one for the kids, and I can't seem to find one that will accurately take their temperatures. Do you have a really good one that you suggest? The ear one never takes their temperature accurately, and the one that goes under the armpit (digitally) I don't think is that great either. Forget about them letting me put one in their bums... I'm not going there. So I gave them both some tempra, and by lunch their bodies felt normal again. For sure they both had some temperature, I'm just not sure how much.

Sean doesn't nap anymore when at home (he does at daycare still) so he didn't nap today, even though he wasn't feeling 100%. I did find him stuff to keep himself amused so that I could get some work done from home today while Mack napped.

Though, he did get black marker over a lot of his body, and we're having a heck of a time washing it off. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea. (They're not permanent markers though, just not crayola washable).

Ah, so I wanted to talk about the tomato sauce I made last night from scratch. I basically took this recipe and altered it a bit (had no carrots in the fridge and added a full can of tomato paste as two tablespoons wasn't enough. It came out really good, surprisingly. I got praises from Madeleine, and from Jamie (who is picky on non-meat sauces). It made a pretty decent amount as well.

I have fully stocked back up my 5" and 8" Bamboo DPNs in the shop. You can find them here and here. They're even on sale! It's been a while since I've re-stocked those, and finally my new order arrived! I know some of you were asking about some of the sizes, so they're finally in stock!

Worked on Mara tonight while watching some TV with Jamie. I am really hoping to finish it soon. These last few rows are a killer with over 620+ stitches (I lost count) on each row...!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter, who is almost two, uses a thermometer that is also a pacifier and that one is really very accurate. If this doesn't work. . . can you use a regular thermometer that you can put in their mouths? It may be more accurate than any other.

I hope that helps, and I love your blog by the way. :)

Montreal Mama said...

Thanks for the suggestion. We have the pacifier thermometer, but neither of my kids use a pacifier, so we've tried it and it doesn't work for them. They won't keep it in their mouths.

Manicmag said...

Have your tried the thermometer that goes on the forehead. I think how it works is that you touch your child's forehead with it and you get a reading.
Ill send you the link if i find it. I'm sure they are dirt cheep in the states. I even saw in Walmart onesies with a print in the back neck and when this turns colors it means your child is running a fever. what will they think of next?
Got a great Jamie Oliver pasta sauce recipe if you are interested. Amazingly good!!
See ya!

Manicmag said...

Here is the link for the forehead thermometer. Only got 2 out of 3 stars and costs an arm and a leg. But thought it would be interesting to check out.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3505896


BElow is a new one i found. I wearable thermometer?!?!
http://www.kaz.com/kaz/store/product/d353cf57e9bd79ae83da18677ccf51cd/?WT.mc_id=shopzillaCSE&WT.srch=1

My fave is from Costco and promises to give results within 5 or 8 seconds. Works very well (I still do bum method) and costs $8.00 or so. Worth checking out.

Good luck.

Amelah said...

Do you have an ear therm?

Uh oh,.,.,Sean with a camera! LOL Pay back for ALLLLLLL the pics u take eh!!

Hmmm..will need to try this meat sauce! I keep looking for a good recipe!

Bea said...

I've seen (I don't own one and don't know how crazy expensive they'd be) a thermometer that measures by scanning across the forhead and just behind the ears. Takes about 3 seconds total and is really accurate.

I always think two tablespoons of tomato paste is crazy. What are you supposed to do with the rest of the can anyway? So I've always used it all.

Tara said...

Ooh! Thanks for the recipe!

g-girl said...

at school, we used to have these strips that dots on them. you would put them in a child's mouth and then take it out to read it. i always had a hard time trying to read it though-being the non-mom that I am! :P i've tried the forehead ones too--not as accurate I think. sorry for not being any help! :P