Friday, February 11, 2011


This morning my dad picked Quentin and I up again to give us a lift to the Montreal Children's Hospital. We had an appointment with Respirology today. We got there early. My dad went to find parking. I got to the reception desk of Respirology and handed them Quentin's hospital card and his medicare card. I thought we were going to have to go sit down and wait, seeing as though we were there at least a good 40 minutes early. We were brought immediately into a room to a nurse to get him weighed and measured (height). I discovered with his height that his doctor made a mistake at his 2 month check up. He's only 52.5 cm today, and not 56 cm. He gained in the last 8 days 200 grams. That's approximately 25 g per day. This is fantastic news. He improved from 20 g per day in a week to 22 g per day in a week to now 25 g per day in a week. Fantastic! Last Thursday he was 7 lbs 15 oz (3861 grams or 3.61 kg) and today he is 8 lbs 6 oz (3810 grams or 3.81 kg). So happy with this. He gained almost half a pound in about a week. Way to go Quentin! When the nurse was done with everything she brought us to an exam room. I thought we'd be going in there to wait for the doctor. Nope, the doctor was in there, waiting for us. It was a doctor that I wanted to see (there are a few in the department, but I got the one that people I know had recommended I saw). She was super awesome with Quentin. At first she asked me what I knew of Laryngomalacia, scolded me for googling and reading, and went over a couple of things. She listened to Quentin's breathing and was really happy with things. They were going to do a cap gas today too, but upon learning that I'd just done it on Tuesday, she wasn't going to have them draw more blood from Quentin. (She also informed me that next time I am in ENT and they want to do bloods, to have ENT call for a technician to come draw the bloods, so that I don't have to wait an hour again for the blood to be taken - interesting). She was happy with Tuesday's results, went over a few more things, and told me to book an appointment on the way out for 2 month's from now. She also gave me her card and told me that if I needed anything to please call her. I was out of there and on the highway heading home within minutes of the time that my appointment actually was called for. My dad didn't even have time to park his car. What a quick appointment with great service. Totally the opposite of Tuesday's appointment.


Since I was back home early, I decided to get in my car and do a few things.
One stop, was at Marie Mode Tricot, a yarn shop that opened up not too long ago.
It's been on my "to check out list".

Of course, somehow I ended up with some new yarn. I don't know how it happened, but this skein of lace called my name, and asked me to take it home. The color is just delicious.


And this skein of fingering weight was too hard to leave behind.


I finally finished in the wee hours of the night last night, this bottle holder. This one is for Quentin. I wanted a few extra for the house (and one to keep permanently in our diaper bag) so I've been whipping up a few more. I absolutely love the material of this one. It was from a nursing wrap that I got, but since I have no use for a nursing wrap (as I'm bottle feeding Quentin), I had to re-purpose the material. I still have enough material to make something else small (or a few little things) and I just love the fabric. Even the stuffing was re-purposed on it, from a pillow (cheaper than stuffing at a craft supply store).


Quentin had his music class today, that we luckily made on time (I was worried because I wasn't sure how long our doctor's appointment would take). I am really enjoying the music classes. There are even babies around Quentin's age in the class, so I'm not the only one with a newborn who doesn't do much. At this point, it's more for me to get out of the house and be with other people than anything.


Quentin is sporting a hat that I got him on Etsy from this seller. It finally (sort of) fits him. He still needs to grow a bit, but by rolling it up a bit, I'm able to let him wear it. I've had this hat since I ordered it in October, and I'm glad that we're finally getting to wear it.


I am not sure what is going on with this yarn. I'm rather disappointed. I bought it off a local knitter, and it's not cheap yarn. It's Sundara in my stash here. I am in the middle of re-organizing my yarn room and making sure that everything is listed on Ravelry and I come across this. Upon further inspection, the yarn is splitting. It was not like that when I first got it, as I was able to re-skein it from the way I got it from the local knitter. I wasn't sure what was going on, so I put it in a ziploc bag and put it in the freezer for a while. I figured if something was in there, it would kill it by freezing it. I'm damn pissed off that it's splitting and I'm not even sure it's worth salvaging? What do you think? I might have to soak it in wool wash and clean it, but I'm afraid there is just no point. There's a few more strands that look like it's about to split. Grumble. (If you want to see closer-up, click on the individual photos, it'll open up larger in another window).

I'm starting to wonder where the Grace Repair Kit I "ordered" is. I know Quentin is still using the bucket, but I ordered it over a month ago. I wonder when I should start to worry?

There is a bit of commotion going on outside our house. 3 police cars, an ambulance and a firetruck. Not sure what is going on, but I'm curious. Looks like they're next door. I'm hoping there is nothing happening at my neighbor's house. I'm trying to be discreet and investigate. Maybe there is something up on her facebook page. Sean & Mack are getting a kick out of all the lights (no sirens) and the fact that from the window they can see police cars, fire trucks and and ambulance. I really hope there is nothing serious going on. If it had been summer, I'd have taken the boys outside to see the trucks. But in this cold, we watched from the window. (Though, we couldn't see much). If I hear of anything, I'll let you know... I'm sure you're curious too.


Lisa said...

Oh no!! That definitely looks like moth damage to me! I had a moth incident a few years ago and that is exactly what my destroyed yarn looked like......arggghhh moths!!

sapphireblue said...

Nice stash acquisitions!!

Tara said...

New yarn store! Aack! And I JUST checked out Espace Tricot too. I thought I was safe from new temptations! lol

Lisa (JeepGirl) said...

Hey there! I'm so glad Q is doing well!! He's so adorable!

I don't what is going on with your yarn there.... I think your best bet was to throw it in the freezer. Maybe it was just a bad skein?!

Lisa (JeepGirl) said...

Your little men and your big guy are so handsome!

LOVE your necklace!!!

I haven't been out for such a long time - I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! You deserve the best!

g-girl said...

glad to hear things went well with the doc! weird about what is happening to your sundara. very nice laceweight that you picked up. :)

dawn said...

Wow the new yarn is lovely! Quentin looks so adorable in his hat, and his face is really filling out! Hmmm that sundara looks like the yarn that I had that had carpet beetles eating it....I hope that's not the case.

Amelah said...

Sucks about the yarn splitting. Wonder what would cause that?

Nice loot though :D I am sure it was yelling ROBYN!!! hee hee

Where is that yarn store you checked out?

Glad you were super fast this morning, as were we!

Bea said...

I've had trouble with Sundara yarn before (that colorway I think too) but haven't seen anything like that. Did it work to put it in the freezer?

Jennifer said...

So what ended up being the reason for all the commotion?