Sunday, November 15, 2009

november fifteen :: 150 weeks old

Today Sean is 150 Weeks Old.

So... you all want to know about our knit-a-thon!

It went VERY well!

This is our group from our event.

Here is me crocheting a chemo cap. However the first one I worked on didn't work out to the size I was hoping it would be, so I made a 2nd one.

I actually finished the 2nd one in good timing, and was very impressed. I totally think it is faster to crochet than to knit - and some things look nice in crochet while others look nice in knit.

I had little prizes for my knitters (and crocheters) to keep them motivated to knit/crochet all night long. I handed out raffle tickets and every hour (which turned out to be every half hour instead because we had more prizes than hours), we drew a name for a prize. Definitely kept my girls on their toes.

By 8 am we had breakfast. We were all starved. Some knitters took care of dinner last night and some took care of bringing breakfast items.


Eugenie made everyone a little cupcake pin cushion. Isn't it just the cutest thing ever? I have a larger one from her that she made me, so this time she gave me a keychain. I just love them, they are soo cute.

So this is the first cap I tried to make last night. A little small. Cute though. I tried it on Mack, it barely fits him. I had to yank it to make it fit over his ears.

Specs:
Pattern: Kalispell by Catherine Lindsay
For:
A chemotherapy patient at the hospital
Yarn: Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash in 1911
Hook: I / 5.5 mm
Size: Adult Head
Timeline: November 14, 2009
Modifications: Altered the pattern by doing an extra increase row as I found it a little too small before starting after the increases called in the pattern.
Opinion: Hope it keeps someone's head warm.


This is the lot of chemo caps we made. There are a few missing from a hat that accidentally went home in someone's bag and another 2 that were almost done. I'll try to take a picture of the entire lot of hats before they go to the hospital.

I did win 2 prizes tonight, the first being these 2 wonderful handmade bars of soap. I can't wait to try them out. I have the info in the other room but I'm not sure if she has a website. The girl who made them is local to me. One of our knitters also collected some prizes and this was one that she brought last night.

The 2nd prize I won last night was this beautiful skein of Biscotte Bella in Jour de Plage.


I do have to say that my coolest donation for the knit-a-thon was from Josh, who is in the Sam Roberts Band. How awesome is that?? (Josh is pictured in the purple shirt below). I actually have met him many times, he's one of my best friends since kindergarten (also named Robyn)'s first cousin. I am sorry mom & dad, but the donation from Josh was cooler, even though I think you guys are awesome as well! LOL

As of right now, and we still have a few donations missing, (coming in the mail this week and people we haven't seen yet). But as of today, we've raised over 5600$! I will have our grand total at the end of the week! Stay tuned!

This afternoon I was beat and ended up napping on my bedroom floor (couldn't keep my eyes open). Jamie had hockey so I was home alone with both boys. The sat on me, they dumped things out of drawers, and you know what? I really didn't care. I was that tired from the knit-a-thon!

This evening after the kids were in bed, I caught second wind. I watched some tv with Jamie while working on Jordyn's blanket. I am making it to replace the one that was stolen from her, and I want to get it done before her December 1st birthday. After hers is done I will be making one for her brother (who is 2 weeks younger than Sean). They are my 1st cousin's kids. I really was heartbroken to find out that their baby blankets, that my grandmother made (their great-grandmother) were stolen.

Today actually happens to be my nephew's 7th birthday. I can't believe he's already 7. Times flies too fast. I hope he had a happy birthday!

I'm beyond beat... I'm off to bed.

9 comments:

Thien said...

Well done on the Knit-athon! A celebrity donor and everything! I agree with you that crochet is much faster than knitting and that they both have their own purposes.

Kimber said...

WOW! Good job :) Proud of you and your friends for doing this!

Andrea said...

You guys did such a great job!!! You should be proud :)

g-girl said...

oh my gosh!! you guys raised SO much money. that's fantastic! the chemo caps look great. i'm so jealous that you're so skilled that you can crochet a hat! the cupcake keychain Eugenie made for you is absolutely adorable!!! did someone volunteer their house for the event? jw.

Zonda said...

Finally catching up! You guys did an awesome job!! They will be very appreciatied I'm sure!

Bea said...

So glad the knit-a-thon went well!

Natalie said...

Congratulations on your knitathon. You all did such an amazing job raising money and making caps. You all should be very proud of yourselves. Bravo!

Balkan Style Bloggers said...

Congratulations, Robyn! You did awesome. I should get my butt in gear and do something like that! I suck at staying awake for long periods though. :)

Tara said...

Great job on the knit/crochet-a-thon, Robyn! Your friend Maggie must be so proud!