Monday, June 06, 2011

2011 Vegetable Garden

weeding

This weekend we finally got to do some gardening, to get our vegetable garden together.
The boys were huge helpers!

fullplot2011planted2011

We spent in the garden all day on Saturday. We planted zucchini, 3 different types of cucumbers, a variety of tomatoes (sizes & kinds), Romaine lettuce, and Prize Head lettuce. The seeds that we will sow right into the ground, will be done shortly as we ran out of earth.

planted2011June

I am so excited to watch our garden grow this summer, as I have done the last 3 summers (2008, 2009 & 2010). I hope we have success again this summer.

chewed

Today, unfortunately, went we went outside to BBQ dinner, we caught a rabbit running away. He ate 12 (all) of my romaine lettuces. I'm quite pissed about that, let me tell you. Tomorrow, we'll be gathering supplies to make a chicken wire fence to go around my garden. I think it's the same rabbit that was living in our yard last summer, except last summer he didn't touch our romaine or anything at all last summer. This year, he devoured all of it. We would have had lettuce to make Caesar salad next week if he hadn't eaten it all up. Sneaky little fellow.

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Yeah, critters are tough that way. We have the same problem, except it might not only be bunnies.

We are looking into fencing options too. My main problem with fencing is accessibility - I want critters out, but me and Evie to be able to get in. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Tara said...

Yay for veggie gardens! I think I may have started my tomato seeds too late this year. They're just SO little!!! Wondering if they're going to have time to grow any fruit...

Celia said...

Goodluck with the garden.

g-girl said...

that little punk! guess he is getting brave or maybe it's a different rabbit? can't wait to see how the garden grows this summer. :)

Amelah said...

Darn rabbit!! Garden looks great though! Can't wait for cherry tomatoes :)

Dawn said...

That sneaky little rabbit! Looks like you're off to a good start! We don't really have much action going on in our garden, because of the cool and rainy spring we are having. Hopefully the weather will turn around!