Monday, November 14, 2005

Apricot Roast

I went to Walmart after class today and I picked up a crochet kit for my mother-in-law for her birthday and some yarn that is variegated. (Gorgeous colours!) I also picked up some blue yarn, pink yarn and grey yarn for myself. I want to figure out how to crochet an afghan for my bedroom (In blue and grey) and use the pink for a scarf for my new jacket.

I got fabric markers at Walmart so I can finally finish the project I've been meaning to work on. I wanted to make my sister-in-law and mother-in-law aprons (with a personalized design) on the front. I found plain white aprons and I am writing "Andrea's Kitchen" on my sister-in-law's and "Norma's Kitchen" on the other. I will post pictures when I'm done! I also bought an extra one to make for myself. I am going to wrap theirs up all pretty in a nice gift bag with some wooden spoons. My mother-in-law taught me that it's best to cook with wooden spoons when making her family's meat sauce recipe. One can never have too many wooden spoons!

This evening Jamie and I just chilled out. I watched with him Trump's Apprentice which we had on tape, Las Vegas at 9pm and CSI:Miami at 10pm. I'm gong to crawl into bed now and watch Without a Trace from Thursday night which is on tape.

Tomorrow I have a ton of stuff to do during the day and then I'm off to the hockey game tomorrow night. For dinner, I decided to try a new recipe. So I found something online as a start and altered it. I ended up with:

APRICOT ROAST

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1.5-2 pounds meat for roasting
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 package of dried apricots

DIRECTIONS:In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, brown the meat on all sides. If the meat is too large, cut it in half first, and brown in two stages. Place the meat in a suitable oven safe cooking container.

Add onions to the drippings in the skillet. Saute over medium heat until the onions are beginning to brown. Stir in garlic, and cook for 2 or 3 more minutes. Pour over the meat in the container.

Empty one package of dry, instant onion soup mix over the browned onions and meat. Arrange all of the apricots on top of the soup mix. Pour enough water around outside of meat, not on top, to cover the sides of the meat. Cover.

Bake at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) for 1 hour. Check liquid; if dish is starting to look dry, add a bit more water around meat. Cover, and cook another hour. Remove lid, and stir apricots into gravy. Leave uncovered, and cook for about 20 more minutes. Meat should be very tender.

I served this with whole grain brown rice. It was delicious. I'm starting to get a knack for this cooking business. I did however set off the smoke detector. That was kinda funny!

No comments: