Tuesday, May 13, 2008

may thirteen

This morning in Sean's class (which was a struggle to get out of bed and get to), we celebrated (belated) Mother's Day. The kids put handprints on a poem, and I plan on framing mine. It's soo sweet. The poem reads:

Hand Prints

Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.

But everyday I'm growing
I'll be grown some day
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.

So here's a little handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.

How sweet, eh? Pregnancy hormones, I'm tearing.

The neighbor directly across from me, but on the other side of the park (because I don't really have a neighbor across from me), has this BEAUTIFUL purple tree. I just LOVE it. Isn't it gorgeous? I just want one now in my yard. WOW.

My tulips are still blooming (some of them) but some of them are on their way out. They don't last long. Though, this year, not a single squirrel issue. I think it was just the mean ass squirrels that live in the city. I love the suburbs now!

Even a pink tulip!! PINK! Can you believe it?

And a white one snuck in too!

So I had to take a "before" picture. Tomorrow, the tree in the middle of my yard, (which looks dead) and ALL those bushes that run along the edge of my yard, are going bye-bye....! I can't wait to see the work finished. And my vegetable garden started!

Anyone have any idea what this may be?? It's looking healthy (the bamboo looking stem) and I'm not sure what kind of plant this is?

And this??? I'm so curious to see what is going to come of this. I've never seen anything like it before. My backyard is full of surprises this year! I'm not complaining at all - just impatiently waiting!


This afternoon Sean was full of beans so I took him across the street to the park, which he just loves. He loves being outside, he loves running around free. (Which could be a good & bad thing at the same time).
He even picked a dandelion for mommy. How sweet. Made my heart melt. And then he tried to eat it. Not really sure how much I wasn't able to get out of his mouth. Hope he won't get sick. Have you ever had your child eat a dandelion? I'm sure your child was okay afterwards?? I've never heard of a child dying from eating a piece of dandelion, I hope!

While at the park, I took the opportunity to cast on a cozy for my iPod touch. Knitting whenever I got the chance to while there.

And somehow, I'm not sure, but my Pony Rosewoods had a little accident this evening. I was NOT putting any pressure on them, and snap. My mouth DROPPED. My 20$ knitting needles, one broke. I was a little mad. Just a tad. I'm *pretty* certain that the place I bought them has an exchange policy for Pony, so I will be hopefully finding time tomorrow to go exchange them.

There has been a huge progress on my iPod cozy since this picture. Updates tomorrow.

ONE spot left in June's Sock Club. Who will be the lucky recipient? Can't believe I'm that close to sold out even with the EXTRA spots we opened up, and it's only the 2nd week of May! Details for the July kit will follow the sold out club (once that last spot is gone!) Thank you to all my loyal customers for making June's kit Hot Hot Hot!

12 comments:

Balkan Style Bloggers said...

The second 'mystery' plant looks like an iris! I have no idea about the first. What a bummer about your needles!
N

Drea said...

sean is getting so big! love all the pics. and the hand prints are way cute.. the tree is beautiful. great post.

cinnamongirl93 said...

I think the plant that looks like bamboo is a rose bush? It almost looks like a hybrid tea rose. The other plants might be an iris? Just my thoughts with the pictures.
The poem was ver sweet. I'm glad you are having it framed. It's a great keepsake.

Caroline said...

Don't worry about the dandelion! Some people eat it in salads!

http://www.sunriseherbfarm.com/recipes/dandeliondishes.html

Heddy said...

The purpel tree looks like maybe a flowering crabapple. The bamboo thingy had me stumped -- maybe a clematis of some kind, or some other flowering vine. The mystery flower is an iris -- likely a black or dark purple one from the looks of the bud. Oh, I hope you don't miss those big liush shrubs when they are gone -- they make such a good buffer between neighbors - better than a fence, as they absorb noise too -- probably would have been nice looking if they were pruned back some. Pretty tulips, too -- looks like the previous owner must have been a gardener (btw -- you can get tulips in nearly every colour under the sun -- I had a blue one a few years back but mice ate the bulb!) In the fall, go to a nursery or Walmart or Canadian Tire, pick out more of the colours you like and plant them -- it is good to take a picture of the garden at large now, so you remember where ypou want more, or more of a certain colour to go -- by fall you will forget if there are no pics!) Tulips are even more gorgeous when there are loads of them ... or get some early and mid season varieties, so you will have flowers for longer, if you really like them. Sorry for the long comment -- Just thought you sounded like you love your tulips and would like some more info.

RobynR said...

That bamboo looking thing is actually an evil and nasty weed. Might be giant knotweed or japanese bamboo. Even when you pull it up, it will have sent out runners and it'll show up in all sorts of places. Fun!

The purple guy below looks like an iris to me too and no, the dandelion won't hurt Sean. In fact dandelion greens are popular bitter greens for salads and I think the flowers are actually used for wine :)

Love that poem. My mom's got a copy of it from some 25-odd years ago.

lauriec said...

That was the Wee One's Mother's Day project too! I cried too!

Maggie said...

pregnancy hormones taking over...crying like a little baby! That was too sweet - I might have to do something like that on some pottery with Oliver (and Roy, when he's born)

Anonymous said...

oh, that poem is just so cool! and the little hands with it, too cute!

Amanda said...

Definitely an iris. Usually they're lighter purple, with yellow in the middle when they open. This one looks darker - lovely!

Tara said...

Yup, that'd be an iris. And no, no one ever died from eating a dandelion. It's totally edible, some people even put the greens in their salads.

g-girl said...

very sweet mother's day poem! :) i love how on his hand prints his two fingers are together on his left hand! I'm sure he'll be fine from the dandelion!