Saturday, October 18, 2008

october eighteen :: RHINEBECK!

Today's Earrings. Yarn Balls with Knitting Needles. They were an Etsy Purchase a long time ago.

Today we headed bright & early from the hotel to the NYS Sheep & Wool Festival. It was about half an hour from our hotel. We got there at a good time and got great parking. We were happy that we were not coming from the Kingston as the line up from Route 9 from that direction to get into the fairgrounds was horrendous. We are staying at a hotel in Poughkeepsie, NY.

Ahhh! Rhinebeck! Upon seeing this sign, I started getting ants in my pants!

And we got there! And I discovered that my Visa was missing. (More about that later, but basically I went to go pay for my entrace fee (as well as my sister's and mother's) and my Visa was not in my wallet, not in my purse, not in my jacket pockets or pant pockets.....) Anyhow, if you have really good vision, at the table in the above picture, you've got Amy Singer (Knitty.com) on the right hand side and Scout on the left hand side.

Mackie didnt' want to be in the stroller, so I wore him for most of the day. Don't you love his Robyn's Nest bib? And my Robyn's Nest hat?

Our first stop was at Briar Rose. I regret not buying anything from them. (Oh well - next time). It was 9 am, and already packed!

I fell in love with the bright colors of Silver Moon Farm. I also didn't purchase anything from them this year. Maybe next time as well! I was going to - and then I said "Oh, we'll come back" and then didn't....!

Within the first half hour of being at Rhinebeck I ran into Yvonne who is a Secret Pal Hostess for SP13! It was awesome getting to meet her! Speaking of SP13, sign ups are now open!

I also got to meet Scout! This was very exciting. I'm a member of her sock club and a reader of her blog. I am glad she was willing to take a few minutes of her time to chat and take a photo. She's really nice!

I also got to meet Glenna C. of Knitting to Stay Sane. Super awesome chic! She introduced me to GirlUnravelled who helped me get in touch with Visa to put my Visa on hold. That was a disaster! The numbers we were getting to call to get in touch with Visa were either not working in the USA from my cell phone or por.n. Yes, you read correctly. One number I called I got "Hi, you won't be disaspointed for calling...." EW! But with GirlUnravelled's cell phone, I was able to call the number, speak to someone and put my Visa on hold, to see if I dropped it in the car or the hotel. (So far, no luck).

Today I also ran into Kadi - fellow Montrealer! We hung out for a bit this afternoon.
It was great to see her since it's hard to get together in the city sometimes!

I also got to meet the lovely Karen - who I've been online friends with for a while now. She brought a gift for each boy - which was very nice of her! Sean already has claimed both until Mack's old enough (more about those later in another post!)

We took Sean to see the animals. A little smelly in that area - but the animals were cute anyhow.

I fondled a lot of yarn. This is a skein that Amy actually purchased, I ended up skeining it for her. It's one pound of yarn. I can't wait to see what she makes with it!

Self portrait with Mack in a vendor's mirror.

Multi-tasking. Feeding Mack and eating lunch for myself.

A nice photo with my mom! She enjoyed Rhinebeck even though she's not a knitter! Amy and I want to convert her, but with her arthritis, I don't think she's into it.

Sean and my mom.

Cute animals!

A cute display.

Another cute display.

Colinette Jitterbug. Delicious colors. I loved the display.


These stands were really neat. Didn't eat any of this stuff, well, Sean did - he had some fries. (Fries - a new fave word of his!)

Amy wore her gauge pendant earrings that I made for her. I sell the pendants in my shop, if you want earrings made too - I can do that for you! (The pendants are on sale right now in the shop - go on check it out (link above).

Being silly in the car after we left.

Both boys were WIPED out from the fresh air and all that walking!

We did a little bit of shopping before heading to the Ravelry Party. We headed back towards the hotel and went to Target. I'm sure I bought stuff, I can't remember what at the moment though.

And then with buttons in gear, we headed to the Ravelry Party just up the road from Rhinebeck!

And my two new buttons were with me too! I had gotten the twist collective button from none other than the lovely Kate - whom I ran into at Rhinebeck too! (I also quickly ran into Alison, Veronik and Deawn, but they were in a rush to get to Veronik's book signing so I didnt get a chance to see them really!) I also got to meet Kate's mom and see Tadpole!

I got really excited as we pulled up to the parking for the Ravelry party! The 2nd Annual!

I got to meet none other thant he lovely Jess! (I got to meet and talk to Casey as well but didn't take a photo with him). They are both awesome people!

I also got to meet Elizabeth of Sweet Paprika Designs, she's a cutie herself! Very nice! She's now a Montrealer as well!

Mackie got to meet the Yarn Harlot. The last time I saw her, it was exactly 13 days before he was born. She was very excited to meet him and charmed him to bits. He was cooing and giggling and loved talking to her. I got Stephanie to sign my book, I had all of the signed except for her most recent one. I am not going tomorrow to Rhinebeck - she's book signing tomorrow. I took some photos, chatted a bit with her, and then carried on to the cupcake table.

Ravelry cupcakes. (They also had ones with Bob on them!) They were delicious!

Sean really enjoyed his cupcake - as you can see!

Mack had a good time there too at the party. He got to be outside in no jacket - there was awesome heaters in the tent. I also got to see Janet another Montrealer - who sat at the same table as us - she's in the background in this picture above. It was nice chatting with her for a bit.

The five of us - I believe this is the only picture of the five of us from this weekend! We had a great time - and I'm glad we went! We had to head out after this though - since it was getting late and we hadn't eaten dinner yet. The food line up at the party was Looooooooong!

So we headed to the Eveready Diner in Hyde Park, NY for dinner. It was a neat place and the food was pretty good as well.

My big boy on a booster seat. He lasted for a while there before we had to transfer him into a high chair because he was bouncing around and getting restless.

He also showed Auntie Amy how Handy Manny wears his pencil in his ear. Daddy taught him how to wear it like that, and he loves putting his crayons in his ear!

Today was great (and tiring!) Yarn was bought (of course!) but I cannot tell you how much or what - because you'll find out on Tuesday for my Blogaversary contest. (I've been taking a LOT of photos as well!) I can't wait to show you what I got.

I am disappointed though that the line up to purchase Blue Moon Fiber Arts was DISGUSTINGLY long. I didn't get to buy any, which sucks. (But I have quite the stash already, so I'm not that disappointed!) Oh well! Next time. They were packed in that booth!

13 comments:

Cynthia F said...

Ack! I am so jealous of your trip- how freakin' cool you got to meet all those fab people, especially Scout!!

Shan said...

Whew...you're going to need a long nap after that! Glad you had a great time and safe travels :-)

Caroline said...

It looks like you had a good time! I'm jealous! I really need to try and go next year!

Tara said...

Wow, can't wait to see what you bought! And I'm so jealous you got to eat at the diner! I really wanted to go. At least I got to have dinner at the CIA!

Hattie said...

Sorry I missed you on Saturday! I was only able to make it on Sunday after all. :) Looks like you had a blast though. I enjoyed it, and I think next year I'm gonna need two days to get through it all!

Craftlover said...

WOW, I enjoyed reading your article today..
so MUCH FUN in NYS! I am so jealous, I hope I would be there...
And you are actually brave, to carry Sean and Mack with your mom.... :p glad to hear that all of you enjoy the FUN! :)

And... your mom looks pretty, (you looks like her!)
and she is very young. :)

THe Ravelry party is nice too, I also wished I were there.....

illahee said...

it looks like you all had so much fun! i really like the earrings (the knitting ones and the gauge pendant ones).
i also can't wait to see what you got!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Wow! Sounds like you had an awesome time!

Unknown said...

What a great trip!

Fries are one of my favorite words too!

Drea said...

That photo of u multitasking is great!! looks like such a fun trip. my mom is part of ravelry..

Anonymous said...

Your recap is great! I think it is just hilarious how dead asleep your little guy is in that picture, that is surely a good sign if he can fall asleep so soundly even among crazy knitters and crowds.

I didn't buy from Briar Rose either and now I am also regretting it. I think next year Sliver Moon and Briar Rose are going to be at the top of my list - as well as staying overnight! How jealous am I about the Ravelry party?

Bea said...

You and Mack look so cute together! I am so going to Rhinebeck next year. I'll have to remember not to stay in Kingston. The ravelry party looks super fun!

g-girl said...

oh my gosh! Rhinebeck looked like such a blast! Wish I lived closer so I could experience it myself! Love all the shots. You got to meet so many people!