Thursday, October 09, 2008

october nine

Today's earrings!

Been having issues with my laptop, so I was going to bring it in today to get it fixed. Jamie told me not to, so I ran out to do some errands instead, and then to pick up Sean from daycare. When I got home, Jamie told me he fixed my laptop. I didn't think anything of it, and then when I sat down to use it, I realized, "Hey, What's This?" Jamie got me a new laptop!

My new laptop is on the left and my old one is on the right. My new one is a tad smaller and a LOT lighter. The new one has Vista, which I'm still trying to figure out. I've been using Windows XP for the longest time. Everything is transferred over to my new laptop (all my files that I need) except for my Emails in Outlook. I seem to be having issues. Not sure what yet, but I hope to have it resolved asap. Vista doesn't have Outlook Express, it uses Windows Mail, which is essentially the same thing, just with a new name/new look. I can still cehck my emails on my new laptop, just need to figure out how to bring my address book over as well as those emails I need. I love my new laptop!!!

In knitting news:

Not too long ago my father finished and stained my skein winder.
I love it. Now I need things to wind!

My nephew's Skull Hat. I'm at row 25 where you join the lining with row 25, and there is no way that the 24 rows on 4.0mm lining will match up with the rest of the hat which is knit on 5.0mm needles. I'm not sure what to do? Anyone else have this issue? Have you made this hat?? Otherwise, it's looking good! Just trying to figure out what to do, or if I should just join in wherever it will fall instead of knitting it into the pattern.

I chose the colors for my Swedish Fish Mittens that I plan on making as soon as my deadlines are met. Briggs & Little Sport, in White, Paddy Green, Royal Blue, Turquoise, Violet, Light Blue & Pink.

Don't forget that the November kit is on sale, get it while it's still available!

16 comments:

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

Congrats on the new 'puter. The skull cap looks great and I love your mitten colors.

IrishGirl said...

Hey Robyn, I just finished making the skull hat & it doesn't match up lengthwise very well. I followed the directions exactly and now it is a little odd. I keep debating whether or not to frog it to row 23 or so to join earlier. The join IS very smooth and nice, so I think it would work fine lower. Seeing where you are, it might be a good idea to join wherever the lining hits the design. It won't make any difference in the hat otherwise. Am I making sense? XP

Good Luck,
Bren

Anonymous said...

I think I would follow the pattern and knit it in where it says. Usually linings are a little smaller than the hat so they can be snug and keep the hat on, and when most people knit fair isle, their gauge is tighter anyways, especially if the floats aren't left long enough. I know it is really just a facing to hide the back of the color section, but it is possible that the pattern takes both of those things into account and that it is deliberate.

That said, if you have like a 2 inch difference in height, then yeah, I'd just sew it down later and not worry about it. Remember, no hat police are going to come and check it out! :]

Bea said...

Congrats on the new laptop! The skulls look really cool.

Shan said...

Ooooohhh new hardware...a very nice way to 'fix' a laptop :-) Enjoy!

Elaine said...

Good luck with vista. It ain't easy. If you're seeing very slow response times, that's Vista for you! They put it on my new laptop at work and I made them remove it and went back to XP. Basically no one else even let them put it on their laptop.

g-girl said...

great earrings! :) that is so awesome that jamie got you a brand new laptop! hope this one won't give you any problems! your nephew's skull hat is looking fantastic!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome looking laptop!!! You are so lucky!!!

Ammerins said...

Waaaa, you've nikked my laptop! ;) What type of Acer did you get? I've got a 5520, but there is several newer versions...
How's your keyboard? Mine's a bit fiddly once in a while, but I think I have it sorted now...

I love your skull hat!! That's on my Xmas list for hubby... If I ever manage to finish the projects I've also got in mind... sigh...

Amelah said...

That's so stupid for the hat! You should check on Ravelry for oters who made the hat and see what they did???

Nice, the thing dad made is cool. Nice colors for the mitts! Yeah for 2 shades of blue :)

Mel said...

I'm by far no expert on knitting but when I made a hat with the same instructions - I just sewed it up when the hat was finished...that way I didn't have to force it...

I actually found the band I made to make the hat look lumpy so not sure what to do about that next time....

Drea said...

Love ur earrings.. and ur new puter looks nice. I switched to a macbook a few months ago.. love it.
My dads a PC man, works for IBM. He was kinda weird about me getting a mac :-) but he loves it 2.

Trying to catch up on ur blog! :-D

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

What funky earrings - so cool!

Can't wait to see the Swedish Fish Mittens you knit up - the colours you chose are gorgeous!

Your Boheme (in the previous post) turned out fabulous! It's such a quick knit! Glad you got it finished in time for the baby shower.

Unknown said...

Wow! New laptop!!!! I hope you've been having fun with it.

Anonymous said...

I love the stain your dad used on the winder and that was very sweet of Jamie to get you a new laptop. I love the colors you're using for your mittens.

Tara said...

Nice earrings! I really like those. Great job on the skull hat, too. Maybe the change in needle size is to compensate for the fact that our gauge tends to be a bit tighter when doing colourwork?