Wednesday, January 10, 2007

No Faith in Health Care System

This morning I was expecting the CLSC nurse to show up between 9:30 am and 10 am. I got up, got Sean changed and fed, and then we crawled back into my bed (on top of the already made bed) and I decided that I had about 15 - 45 minutes (depending on when the nurse showed up) to close my eyes. We both doze off. At about 5 minutes to noon, my phone rings. It's said nurse. She starts talking to me as if we'd never even spoke yesterday. WTF???! I asked her if she realized that she was supposed to be at my house that morning around 9:30 am. She was silent for a minute. Then she says "Oh, I have 9:30 am marked here, just no date." How dumb could she be? We JUST spoke yesterday. I'm annoyed. She says she has to be at someone's house near mine at about 1:15pm, for 20 minutes and then she'll be over. I call my mom. She was planning on coming this afternoon anyhow, to see Sean and watch him so I could do a few things. The nurse shows up just before 3pm. At this point, I'm annoyed. I did not want to go over breastfeeding with this woman, so I just let her weigh Sean, and then let her talk her spiel, and then pretty much gestured her to the door.

Good news! Before the nurse came, I calculated that Sean should be at about 2360 grams by today, at a 30 gram per day growth in the last 4 days. And he weighed in at 2370 grams, so I pretty much jumped for joy! 2370 grams is just about 5 lbs 4 oz. He'll be tomorrow back at his birth weight of 5 lbs 5 oz, and he's back on track! I DO notice that he's starting to fill out the preemie clothing we've bought for him. I am very happy with his progress.

... and I have no respect right now for free health care services in my area.

This afternoon my grandmother came over as well, and my mom and grandmother held Sean while I pumped, did a few things and then eventually took a nice long hot shower. (I'm still too (not nervous) but not comfortable with showering with him in his crib while I'm alone in the house). I'm sure I'll get over it. I guess Sean's just still "too new" too this world, and I don't feel comfortable leaving him alone, without being able to hear him due to the water running.

This evening I burned dinner (and it was pre-made as well by my mother-in-law! Her homemade lasagna, and I killed it! So disappointed, but it was still okay to eat). Watched TV and dozed on the couch. Hung out a bit with Jamie too.... and now I'm off to pump (routinely scheduled) and off to bed. Tomorrow... another day of sleeping, eating, changing diapers, and pumping. Maybe I'll even get to knit tomorrow? There is that possibility! Oh and maybe even do my own laundry??? (Sean's gets done, it seems to never end, but ours... that's a whole other story!)


What you looking at???

5 comments:

Barb said...

That stinks, waiting on the health nurse like that....Yay Sean pack on the pounds!!! I hope you can get a little knitting in there somewhere :)

Drea said...

yea health care is annoying i wont say anymore :-)

do you own a bouncy seat?? I use that when i need to shower. I just put taite in it and put him in the bathroom with me as i shower. Caleb is old enough that i can just tell him to watch tv or play while i shower.

car seat carriers work just as well as a bouncy if you dont own one

Lain said...

He is such the little peanut! So glad he's gaining weight. That is awful about the nurse. They should know how emotionally fragile new moms are and have a little respect, for goodness' sakes!

I was going to say something else but I cannot remember what it was.
xoxox
L

Jenny said...

What a cute picture--I just love those big eyes!

g-girl said...

that's why it's free--so they can take their sweet ol time because you're not even paying for it so you're 'lucky' to even be getting the services! you know, if I had a lil one, and it was just the two of us home, I wouldn't feel comfortable showering either!