1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I do NOT like Acrylics. I can’t stand the feel of it. I love sock yarn (I’m a sock yarn addict) and I love anything that is soft! I am NOT a mohair fan… nor do I like to knit with chenille, popcorn yarn, fun fur or eyelash yarn. ICK. I right now would love to check out Koigu (I keep hearing nice things about it). I've also never gotten my hands on Cherry Tree Hill Sock yarn, or Yarn Pirate. (Just to suggest a few things I'd like to try out!) Not a fan of Tofutsie sock yarn. I think it's the only kind I don't like.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a wooden case that my grandmother gave me, as well as a large a nice Double pointed needle case I made for my bamboo DPN collection. Click here to see my beautiful handmade case. My circulars are now housed in a shoe bag that I got at the dollar store. Click here to see my awesome creation! Each pocket houses another size, and it came in a crazy color! My other regular straight needles are in this needle case that I made with my friend Jennie, click here to view. However, since making these all, I've acquired more needles - that need a home....!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I consider myself to be an intermediate knitter. I’ve been knitting since about mid-Novermber 2005, and have accomplished a lot since then. I tried knitting once when I was about 9 years old, an old non-live-in babysitter/housekeeper Irene taught me to knit. She was later fired for stealing from my parents. Then, my friend Faye got me knitting needles and some really expensive yarn for my birthday in June of 2004, while in my 2nd year of professional photography school. I knitted a garter ridge scarf (only knew knit stitch back then, didn’t know how to purl yet) and then put down knitting until November 2005, when I started working on a scarf in chenille (yick!) yarn for my mother-in-law. That yarn got so gross to knit with, that I won’t ever knit with chenille yarn again, and that scarf died. That’s when my sister-in-law introduced me to crochet (or her version of crochet anyhow!) and I didn’t touch any knitting for another month and a half until January 2006. And I haven't put down the needles since. That’s my knitting history for you in a nutshell.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I did, but then I bought myself everything off of it. So, I will work on another one, and when I have, I'll let you know. Currently, I own every single knitting book that I want. I need to check in with Amazon to see where my Knitting on the Road is though, I ordered that book back in May, and they said 4-6 weeks shipping, and now it's been like months. It was supposed to arrive the same week as my Harry Potter. Got the Harry Potter... I will look into my Knitting on the Road.
5. What's your favorite scent?
Peach, Watermelon, Cinnamon. Nothing too strong. I don't burn candles or incense. I'm not into that. So please don't send any.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Not a fan of chocolate…. sweet tooth - not really. I like to chew different mint flavored gum. I love gum. Gum is a good thing to add to a package for me!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I sew, take pictures, do graphic design and sometimes crochet (but rarely anymore). I do not spin, yet, but want to learn as my SP10 partner Tammy got me a bag of pink fiber and a drop spindle. I hope to learn soon. When we move (hopefully early next year) and have a bigger house, I'd like to get a spinning wheel. (But I need more space for that).
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I do not like rap or country music, or church music either. I can play MP3’s that’s no problem. I am into learning about new artists.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love pink, peach, blue, turquoise, , any shade of green, and I like yellow and red too. Right now I'm hot for lime green and yarn with a bunch of green colorways. Pink tones too! I just just just just just recently started taking a liking again to the color purple. I hated the color for years, maybe it was my pregnancy, I don't know...!
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live surrounded by males. I live with my hubby and our senior 2 cats and my beautiful son Sean. He was born Dec. 28th, and that makes him 7 and a half months old.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear hats & scarves and mittens. I think I would wear a poncho.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I don’t hate anything. I’m loving socks and anything baby!
13. What are you knitting right now?
Oh gosh, you don't even want to know. Here's the list:
1. Anniversary socks for my husband. 2nd anniversary modern gift is cotton, so I'm knitting them with Cotton Regia.
2. Jaywalkers for myself (1 down, 1 to go)
3. "Married" socks for myself (already finished Jamie's got 1 more sock to go for myself)
4. Irish Hiking Scarf for my father-in-law's birthday in October
5. Turtleneck Shrug for myself
6. Sophia for myself
7. Chevron Scarf for myself
8. Tank Top from Debbie Bliss for Sean
9. Woven Trellis Scarf for myself
10. Thrummed mittens for myself
11. Sean's Cabled Pullover
12. Sean's Leftover Sock Yarn Blankie Project
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes, but it depends on what. I love handmade stitch markers. I collect them.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I don’t really care for straights, but will use them. I like DPN’s for socks, or on a pair of 12″ circs. I have not tried magic loop yet, though I want to. And bamboo vs. aluminum - well it all depends on what type of yarn it is…. some yarns don’t mix well on bamboo needles (and it also depends if it’s circulars or DPN’s as well - it does make a difference in my opinion). Plastic - I guess is okay as well.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I own a ball winder and a swift. Hubby was getting annoyed being my swift, so he convinced me to buy one. A knitting accessory – how could I say no!
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I think my oldest UFO is the Woven Trellis Scarf. I wonder when I started that? Actually, I think that's the only project I forgot to upload to Ravelry. (Oops...!)
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Any holiday that brings family together.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Stitch Markers. Elephant statues. Oh and I collect yarn and purses!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have a subscription to Interweave Knits that I just treated myself to. I am dying to get my hands on some Koigu. Keep hearing really good things about it. Also there are a few Vesper Yarn colorways that I’m in love with – and the ONE retail shop in Canada that carries them is out. (And a 6 hour drive from my house!) And Knitting on the Road if it's not on back order still.... I have to look into that, because I did order it. I bet, I'm going to get an email stating that they cannot ship this item and it's currently out of stock. Just watch my luck. I'd also like to try Handmaiden Sea Silk. I fondle it whenever I go to the LYS!
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Entrelac, magic loop, and how to use my drop spindle.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a size 8 women’s sock/shoe. I am a sock knitter.
23. When is your birthday?
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
- Knit and Purl Mama
- I am a 30-something mom who knits, and takes pictures, a lot. I am a mother to 3 adorable boys, Sean (Dec 2006), Mackenzie (June 2008) & Quentin (Nov 2010). This is my journey through motherhood, photography, the books I read, life in general and knitting, of course. Oh, and other crafts too!
- ► 2012 (206)
- ► 2011 (330)
- ► 2010 (363)
- ► 2009 (367)
- ► 2008 (366)
- August 31 of 31
- 35 Weeks
- My Contest #2 Answers (SP11 Robyn's Group)
- August 29 of 31
- 8 Months
- August 27 of 31
- August 26 of 31
- August 25 of 31
- August 24 of 31
- 34 Weeks
- VOTE For Sean's Hallowe'en Costume
- August 22 of 31
- August 21 of 31
- August 20 of 31
- August 19 of 31
- August 18 of 31
- August 17 of 31
- 33 Weeks
- August 15 of 31
- August 14 of 31
- Interweave Knits Spring 2006
- August 13 of 31
- August 12 of 31
- August 11 of 31
- August 10 of 31
- SP11 Questionnaire
- 32 Weeks
- Wool Gathering @ Roxham Farm Celebrates 15 Years
- August 8 of 31
- August 7 of 31
- August 6 of 31
- August 5 of 31
- August 4 of 31
- Announcing Robyn's Nest
- August 3 of 31
- 31 Weeks
- Matel Recall
- August 1 of 31
- ▼ August (39)
- ► 2006 (425)