Thursday, October 22, 2009

october twenty-two

Sean has been the king of faces lately. I tried to capture this one face he makes in particular when he's "thinking" about something.... but I can't catch it on film. I will keep trying though, it's just too darn cute.

This morning after I dropped off the kids at daycare I did some groceries to pick up stuff to make whole wheat tacos for supper. I ran into another mom that I took a mom & tot class at the local Y with. Her daughter is just a tad older than Mack. We chatted for a while, and it was super nice. I remember the daughter's name, but I cannot remember the mom's name for the life of me. I hate that. I just can't think of it... and I wasn't going to ask her in the grocery store after spending weeks in a class with her a while back.

This afternoon I had my private sewing class. I love that no one else is attending the class. It means that I get all the attention from her, I love it. I love my teacher, she's such a cutie. And she makes all her own clothes, which is really wicked. She's so inspiring.

Today I first worked on an exercise, trying to sew straight lines. It started off horribly and then got better as I went along. I didn't realize how hard it was to sew a straight line! And then I tried the curvy lines. Yeah, not happening. I tried the first one, horrible. And then I tried to follow the 2nd one, but it seemed like it was just worse, so I gave up on that for today. She told me that I would get better by the end of the class, so to mark my name & date and to hang onto the exercise! I hope I do improve.

I felt comfortable with straight lines so I pinned the patchwork part of my purse that I am making to start sewing them. Straight lines I can handle.

I did a fabulous job pinning as well. It can be challenging to match up edges 100%.
I think I am getting the hang of it though.

I managed to sew them all together today, and then iron the seams flat. I got a lot done today. I decided to make each side of the bag different, to make it unique. I cannot wait to see how this bag turns out. Nice, I hope. I cannot believe how much prep time goes into sewing. It's 60% prep time and 40% sewing time that goes into 1 project. Never realized that. And the prep is very important, kind of like knitting a gauge swatch before knitting a sweater. Totally makes sense.

After class I picked up the kids. Sean is having a really good week at daycare this week. Today he was overall good, but didn't have 100% gentle hands today. Even with that, I am really happy on his overall behavior this week.

My grandfather now has a fever, and they are not sure if they are going to operate tomorrow on him. I will keep you posted as I know more. I really hope that they don't have to delay any longer that needs to be delayed. Though, if he has fever still tomorrow, they cannot operate. I am hoping that his feve goes down over night.

Tonight I made whole wheat tacos for dinner. Sean absolutely love putting his together, and he loves eating them rolled up like we eat them. Mack had to be fed the meat with whatever else separately, as he's not able to eat a wrap yet. Even feeding him was a disastrous mess.

After the kids went to bed Jamie & I watched the Habs game, while I worked on my nephew's birthday socks. They're coming along! I finished sock number 1, and cast on sock number 2. I will photograph them tomorrow and show you their progress. I really like they way they are coming out.

The Habs won tonight 5-1 against the New York Islanders. What a game! Jamie and I also watched Heroes from Monday night and also Big Bang Theory. On Monday night's episode my fave line was "I couldn't ride a bicycle because my mom was worried that I would hit a bump and loose my virginity." I laughed so hard... I cried.

I leave you tonight with another fave Big Bang Theory Quote:

"Scissors cut paper
Paper covers Rock
Rock crushes Lizard
Lizard poisions Spock
Spock smashes Scissors
Scissors decapitates Lizard
Lizard eats paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes Rock
Rock crushes Scissors

Now, who wants to play?"

6 comments:

Kimber said...

Nice to see you are sewing! I got my Grandmas early '70s Singer (all metal!) in May and I have sewed up a storm!

I am continuing to think about and pray for your Grandpa and your family.

MORE HUGS

Hattie said...

You can do it! I bet it will be adorable when you're done.

Bea said...

I have a guide that keeps my lines straight, otherwise I wouldn't manage them nearly as well as I do! I'm so lazy with this sewing thing. I almost never pin anything. I think your bag looks awesome so far.

Cynthia F said...

Great job on your sewing project- I can't wait to see how it turns out!
I'm like Bea, I never pin unless absolutely necessary, but! I've been sewing since I was very young so have taught myself some (bad) sewing habits- LOL!
And I'm glad to hear your grandfather is doing better!

Tara said...

I think that bag is going to be super cute! Can't wait to see it done :)

g-girl said...

i think that it is so cool that you basically have private sewing lessons! :) i had no idea that it was difficult to sew straight lines! can't wait to see your bag all finished. :) hopefully your grandfather's fever went away quickly so he doesn't have to wait too long for the operation.