Monday, April 24, 2006

No Cavities & Bamboo or Plastic DPN's

Slept in a little today. I finally got up when the post lady rang my bell - she had something that wouldn't fit into my mail slot. It was a good thing I was home, usually she leaves it on my doorstep and I find it - or my tennants find it and place it by my door - OR someone actually takes my mail (It's happened before!).

I got my 2nd package of bamboo knitting needles today, the 40cm and the 100cm. I finally now have an entire collection. And you know what? I SHOULD have ordered a complete set of bamboo DPN's - as I went INSANE today calling around, running around, looking for either bamboo or plastic DPN's for my sock project that I am working on - so that I can work on them on my flight tomorrow. It's the only project that I really want to knit - and I really didn't want to have to start a new project, so I tried out circulars - but the bamboo ones are NO good for the sock yarn I'm using - it doesn't slide easily, so that is no good, and I wish I could bring my regular circulars, but the tips are metal, and you're not allowed metal needles through security. I printed off a paper incase I have problems with plastic or bamboo - but those are allowed. According to the American transport online. Click here to see information. (The airline I'm flying - Westjet allows all types of knitting on board- but I won't necesarrily get it through airport security, so I want to play by their rules:

Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by the TSA screener. TSA Screeners have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security. TSA recommends the following when bring knitting needles on an airplane:

  • Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total lengthWe recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)Scissors must have blunt points
  • In case the screener does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.
  • As a precautionary measure it is recommended that you carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint.

In the end - this evening, I managed to find assorted (non matching - but the same size - US size 2) DPN's that were all made out of plastic. Four are different shades of cream, white, beige, and one if turqouise, but they're all 3mm (US 2) so as long as they're the right size, I don't care about length or colour. THEY WORK! I dug through the pile of knitting needles I got at Value Village - SOOOO glad that I didn't throw them out!

Today I had my dentist apt at 2pm, with my sister (whom I picked up at work) and NO CAVITIES! (I never have and hopefully never will get!).

The dentist's assistant - whom we've known for years, told me it was time for an xray. With the possibility that I could have gotten pregnant - won't know until I get my period or not (around the 4th of May) I asked her if I could hold off on the xray. She said "Why, are you pregnant?" And before I could respond - my sister jumped in and said "YOU'RE PREGNANT?"

So I told her that I'm not pregnant yet (because there is a huge possibility that I am not yet) but that I'm off the pill and that we're letting it happen when it happens.

She PROMISED and PINKY SWORE that she would not tell a soul and wouldn't tell anyone until after people started to know.

I made a promise to my sister though, that she would be the second to know (first being Jamie) that I'm pregnant. That I don't mind doing - as long as she keeps it... which I am sure she can. I HOPE.

Next stop, my mom's house. Had to drop off the leaf blower we had borrowed from my parents, they needed to borrow it back, as my parent's neighbor's tree is shedding flowers into my parents back yard and Bosco (my parent's puppy Great Dane) is eating them. GROSS. My mom hopes that they don't last long, as it's only for a few weeks every summer that this tree sheds the flower buds, or something.

Next stop, Jenn's house. She helped me with showing me the magic loop thingy, in circular knitting socks, BUT my bamboo circs, the only ones safe to travel are NOT good for the yarn I'm using, as I stated before.

Next stop, Walmart, they didn't have what I needed, (haven't been to the Walmart near my parents place in a while, wanted to see if they had anything different than the Walmart near me).

On my way home I picked up dinner for Jamie and I from our fave Souvlaki place - Marathon's. It was delicious and hit the spot!

My tennant called me today while I was getting dinner - it was the husband - to tell me that he's freezing, if we can put the heat back on. Well - to be honest, we had shut down the heat, as it was getting really warm outside. I agree, that lately, it's been rainy, so it's a little colder, but it's the end of APRIL! Anyhow, I turned the heat back on, but I think we're going to turn if off while we're out of town, because I check on the Regie du Lodgement, and there is no date that I have to keep the heat on until, and if it's going to be nice while we're away - then I'm not leaving the heat on - to pay for it. It was even to the point that we turned off the pilot light, and everything was shut down. Just checked the Weather Network dot com, and it's going to be nice all week. I wonder what the weather in Vegas will be like? (Googled it - and it's going to be around 80F degrees). I like 80F degrees. That just right. I wish it were just 80F degrees all year round. 80F is about 26.5C - that's great.

This evening Jamie and I taped 24 as the Canadiens were playing Carolina again. The game was insane - we went into over-time - as they caught up by the end of the 3rd period and the score was 5-5. We scored the winning goal in overtime - winning the game 2 of the playoff series with 6-5. We need to win two more games to go to round 2. I think we CAN do it. As long as they don't get cocky now that they've won 2 in a row, and don't lose their confidence. I have faith. I'll send out a prayer for our boys to win!

Finished packing and did a little bit of laundry. Cleaned my bathroom - it was dirty with mud on the floor from Jamie coming in with his shoes this weekend, after working in our backyard (bad bad boy!) and started preparing Garbage for tomorrow - it's garbage day, etc).

Can't wait to get to Vegas! Sooo excited!

Have a good night.

No comments: