Sunday, October 01, 2006

SP9 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I do NOT like Acrylics. I can’t stand the feel of it. I will use it to make a baby blanket - because babies spit up on things and it’s machine washable, but in that case, I’m very picky to the brand/quality of the acrylic. I love sock yarn (I’m a sock yarn addict) and I love anything that is soft! I am not a mohair fan… or do I like to knit with popcorn yarn (yarn with those fuzzy things sticking in it!) I right now would love to check out Koigu (I keep hearing nice things about it)- as well as Blue Mountain Fiber Arts' Socks that Rock (can't find it in Canada).

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I have a wooden case that my grandmother gave me, as well as a large a nice Double pointed needle case I made for my bamboo DPN collection. Click here to see my beautiful handmade case. My circulars are now housed in a shoe bag that I got at the dollar store. Click here to see my awesome creation! Each pocket houses another size, and it came in a crazy color! My other regular straight needles are in this needle case that I made with my friend Jennie, click here to view.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I consider myself to be an intermediate knitter. I’ve been knitting since about mid-Novermber 2005, and have accomplished a lot since then. I tried knitting once when I was about 9 years old, an old non-live-in babysitter/housekeeper Irene taught me to knit. She was later fired for stealing from my parents. Then, my friend Faye got me knitting needles and some really expensive yarn for my birthday in June of 2004, while in my 2nd year of professional photography school. I knitted a garter ridge scarf (only knew knit stitch back then, didn’t know how to purl yet) and then put down knitting until November 2005, when I started working on a scarf in chenille (yick!) yarn for my mother-in-law. That yarn got so gross to knit with, that I won’t ever knit with chenille yarn again, and that scarf died. That’s when my sister-in-law introduced me to crochet (or her version of crochet anyhow!) and I didn’t touch any knitting for another month and a half until January 2006. That’s my knitting history for you in a nutshell!

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I have a froogle list. It’s got some books on it, as well as some knitting accessories.

5. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

Peach, Watermelon, Cinnamon.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Not a fan of chocolate…. sweet tooth - not really. I like to chew different mint flavored gum.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I sew, take pictures and crochet. I do not spin. I’d like to learn though.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s?

(if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I do not like rap or country music, or church music either. I can play MP3’s that’s no problem.

9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand?

I HATE PURPLE! I love pink, peach, blue, turquiose, yellow, red, anything but purple! I love also knitting with neutral “earth” tone colours…. (Blacks, beiges, greys, greens…) Right now I'm hot for lime green and yarn with a bunch of green colorways. For example, I'm loving Scout's Appletini yarn. I would LOVE to get my hands on some. I love a bunch of her other yarn, but I'm in love with Appletini right now.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I live with my hubby and our 2 cats. I’m a soon-to-be mom for the first time this coming January 2007 to a boy!

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I wear hats & scarves. I think I would wear a poncho.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I don’t hate anything. I’m loving socks and anything baby!

13. What are you knitting right now?

Socks for my hubby and myself, as well as Clapotis for myself. I need to also get started on a purse for my MIL’s bday.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Of course!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I don’t really care for straights, but will use them. I like DPN’s for socks, want to try my first pair of socks on a pair of 12″ circs that I just got as a gift. And bamboo vs. aluminum - well it all depends on what type of yarn it is…. some yarns don’t mix well on bamboo needles (and it also depends if it’s circulars or DPN’s as well - it does make a difference in my opinion). Plastic - I guess is okay as well.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

I own a ball winder and a swift. Hubby was getting annoyed being my swift, so he convinced me to buy one. A knitting accessory – how could I say no!

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

From January 2006 (shhh! don’t tell anyone!) I better get to it, eh?

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Any holiday that brings family together.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Elephant statues (just bought my latest one on a trip to Casablanca, Morocco, Africa).

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?

What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? *(UPDATED)* I have no subscriptions. I am dying to get my hands on some Koigu. Keep hearing really good things about it. Also – I would love to try some of Scout’s Swag (Appletini) yarn. Also – there are a few Vesper Yarn colorways that I’m in love with – and the ONE retail shop in Canada that carries them is out. (And a 6 hour drive from my house!) (Colorways that I love are: Knit & Tonic, and SweetWater and There are some knitting books on my froogle list - be sure to check it out!

21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn?

At the moment - no.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I am a size 8 women’s sock/shoe. I am a sock knitter.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

06/16

No comments: