Friday, March 27, 2015

Knits for Boys by Kate Oates

knit-for-boys 
I got the chance to review a book called Knits for Boys by Katie Oates, which features adorable and stylish knits. There are sweaters, tops, vests, hoodies, mittens, hats, which are designed especially for boys and sized from 4-12. When I got asked to review this book, I told the woman who contacted me that I was the perfect person to review this book seeing as I have 3 boys of my very own. The book also features reference sections on how to knit for kids, choosing colors and styles, sizing, how to make a sweater grow with your child, how to find a comfortable fit, and even tutorials on simple additions to patterns such as hoods and zippers.

The theme of the book is “Grow with me”. This is fantastic because my boys seem to outgrow the things that I knit for them quite quickly. Katie is a mom of FOUR boys, so she is the perfect person to write a book on boys garments. The tips in this book are fantastic and I learned some interesting things on how to get more use out of children’s knitted garments.

trex

My favorite pattern in this book has got to be the T-Rex Graphic Pullover. I wonder if any of my boys would wear it if I made it.

If you have any boys in your life, then you definitely need this book! Some of the patterns can be modified with girl colors to daughters too, by playing with color or texture. If you are interested in this book, you can purchase your autographed copy here or on Amazon.

You can preview what’s in the book here.

If you are a US Resident, you can enter to win a copy of this book. Sorry to my Canadian & International readers, unfortunately Stoackpole will only ship to a US resident.

To enter, leave me a comment on this post to let me know which pattern from the book would you knit first. Click here to view all the patterns in the book.

Giveaway entries close at 11:59PM EST on April 1st, 2015.

14 comments:

Word Lily said...

The Caden vest would probably be my first.

I'm WordLily on Rav.

Unknown said...

Yea I could see making some of these for girls! The prepster vest is something my son would totally wear, he loves to dress up in nice clothes. The library cardigan is cute too.

Anonymous said...

I love the Charlie V...a classic simple sweater which would be shared with younger siblings ..as a sock fan, I also love the Stripy Socks and envision a pair for the whole family!
Johalley on rav

Anonymous said...

What a great opportunity, thank you! I've had my eye on this book, and would probably start with the Twisty Crew. It's got a subtle but impactful bit of detail.
- beccamade on rav

Sarah said...

I really like the Tucker Military Jacket.

Heather said...

The bow tie and the Jessie HalfZip

Kerry said...

The Caden Vest would be top of my list! It caught my eye as soon as I saw it on Ravelry. I have a friend who loves dressing her little guy in sweater vests. I would knit it in red, white, and green for the holidays.

I love the patterns in this book! There are several I can very easily see myself knitting for my daughter and granddaughter.

Sara said...

I love the Outdoorsy sweater!

Rav ID: SaraMCrafts

strawberry_kid said...

I'd probably knit the Sunday Best Bowtie first, then the Tucker Military Jacket. So many patterns to choose from!

Strawberrykid on Ravelry

Maureen said...

I am a fan of the Outdoorsy Sweater, what a great look. Threadless on Rav, here

pikkle said...

I love the Benson Mittens and the Mattox patterns.

Pikkle on Rav.

Carmen N said...

Jesse Half-Zip is at the top of my list (asimplehomestd on Rav)

Katelyn said...

I think I would start with the Big Bad Vest. This book looks really cute I can't wait to see it in person. (zima21 on Ravelry).

Monica said...

I am going to have to get this one, I haven't knit for Aidan in ages...