Tuesday, March 04, 2008

march four :: 31 days :: day four

Day Four. Busy busy day. Swimming Class. Car appointment. Errands with my mom.


This morning we had Sean's swimming class. I found out today that he actually gets a report card in 2 weeks. For a mom & tot class.... weird. Like he actually needs one? I'm curious to see what it will say. Anyhow, this Tiger towel is a new one in Sean's collection. He got 3 new ones last month, that I finally washed and now he's sporting them. I think the orange is a little bright, but I like how cute it looks on Sean.

I got some mail today from Rhoda, thank you girl! She sent me a Slow Cooking Magazine, that I couldn't seem to find here. She also sent me some leftover sock yarn for Sean's blankie (the pink one will be going away for the future possible girl blankie). Thanks Rhoda, you rock!


This afternoon while my car went to Acura (some servicing was needed), and I ran some errands with my mother. Grandma got some play dough tools for Sean, since I'll be making him some homemade play dough this week. We actually found the same tools that Sean uses at class on Mondays, so he got that set of tools. I'm very excited to play with some play dough, let me tell you! I'm going to start with some white play dough, to see how it comes out, but I'll eventually make some colored ones (food coloring!) for him to play with. Sean also spend his 20$ that he got from his other nana & grandpa for Valentine's Day today. He bought 4 t-shirts in 18-24 months size, that he just loved (okay, I loved them too), that were on sale. Because I'm doing a slow month, doesn't mean Sean has to also - LOL. (It's one purchase I allowed, since he was given 20$ for Valentine's Day, and I wasn't going to get him more toys, which he has plenty of already, so I figured a clothing purchase was something he needed anyway and the shirts were on sale).

As promised, progress on my Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmerman. I'm on row 44 or 46 of 114. Getting there....! I really love the way the color is coming out, the blues are stunning in this skein of Lorna's Laces. I'm hoping that 1 skein is enough for the sweater, but have another one in case it's needed.

So yes.. my contest. It has to do with my Slow Month. You do not need to be doing a Slow Month to play this game, but it's fun. Basically, because I'm doing a Slow Month (and not shopping for myself), I've found 10 items that I bought that were never used. The idea is to use them! So, if you want to play this part of my contest (or just keep posting comments to try to be commenter number 3616, which I'll announce on March 22nd, 2008) (Why 3616? Because I like the number 16 - it's my fave number of all time, and I needed a number above a certain number to be able to choose a winner... so that's how that number came about). Anyhow, back to my contest. Search your home and find 10 products that you bought that you never used (yet). You must post about your 10 items, and come back to THIS POST before March 21st, 2008 at midnight, and link your 10 items that were blogged. And hopefully you'll use all 10 items by my 1000th post. I will hopefully get to use all 10 of my items by March 22nd, as well.

So, my 10 items are:

1. Shoe Goo - which I bought to repair my fave sneakers. I. Will. Repair. Them. This. Month!
2. A Pink USB Port
3. Play Station 2's game called Buzz. (I'm dying to play it, no idea why it's still in the package!?)
4. Saku Koivu Bobble Head. Will take out of box and put on display. Saku is my other lover. (Jamie knows this) :)
5. Set of 4 Cookie Cutters. Must bake cookies.
6. Pink Hair Elastics (still able to pull back my short hair when cooking, etc, I heart pink)
7. Eye Shadow (yellow case). I will wear makeup! Why not!
8. Turquoise Earrings. I heart earrings. I don't know why I haven't worn them yet.
9. Knit Picks Harmony DPNS. Cast on a pair of socks!? No idea why I haven't used them yet?
10. "R" letter post-it note. I heart post-it notes.

So me, who is doing a Slow Month this month, now has 10 "new" items to use and fulfill my need to have new things. This month will 100% be a challenge for me, who is used to getting/buying what I want. It's very hard, let me tell you. You don't know how many times today I put things back on the shelves while out with my mom "shopping" to kill time today, because I found stuff that I wanted. (Not that I needed, but that I wanted).

I can't wait to see what 10 items you find around your house. I don't just want the picture of the 10 items, I want a list of them, and what you plan to use them for, or why you bought it, or why you haven't used it yet.... give a little bit of detail per product, like I did in my post above.

I've decided, that for my "Prize" for my Slow Month, once I get to the end successfully, I will allow myself to get some books from Chapters (in my shopping cart) providing that I finish this month off successfully, and I don't "give in" to temptations...! I just decided today that I want to reward myself for accomplishing my slow month! Why not! (Plus it's books that I'm sure I would get anyhow!)

Day Four. I spent a few dollars on groceries (bought grapes for Sean as well as veal for dinner). Didn't buy anything personal for me. So far, so good!

ps- Jamie is not doing a Slow Month. He's the one working Monday - Friday 9-5 and sometimes more than that - and he's entitled to the stuff he wants to buy. It's me, that's trying to discipline myself this month, to see if I can do it. (Well, I know I can - I did it back in June of 2007)

22 comments:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Oh dear...I don't know if I have 10 items here in Korea that I bought and haven't used...I have tons back home in Canada though...

I do have things that I bought but they are gifts so those wouldn't count...do the items have to be household items...or can it be something like buying a book and not reading it yet?

Laura said...

Hey Robyn-
Don't use food coloring to color the play dough-use kool aid! Smells better and doesn't stain your hands!

Are you doing the cooked variety or the non-cooked variety?

~Jo~ said...

Just wanted to wish you good luck for your slow month. The best tip I can give you is stay away from stores, it helps resist buying. ;) I did a no-buying month in January and it was tough, I did it out of need not out of choice. It was tough but a good lesson on how to measure needs and wants in my life.

K. said...

Erm...if ever you want to get rid of those dpns...*grin*...you know my number! LOL!

Caroline said...

Good luck with the slow month! I've done three slow months (Dec., Jan. and Feb.) when I was only working part-time. Now that I'm working good hours again, I want to spoil myself a little. Sorry I can't join you!!!

Sean looks adorable in his tiger towel!

TROIS OISEAUX - Kimber said...

I LOVE the colours in your BSJ - it's looking good!

The Sugarbelly is for back and belly support and for after the baby - it helps your tummy go down - apparently other cultures use this sort of system.

My GP sent a referral request to my old OB (a few months ago) but I have yet to hear anything so as I enter my third trimester I will be OB-less... I am freaking out here! (my GP stops prenatal care at 30 weeks - and he is a great GP not so much with the OB stuff....).

Good luck with the slow month - I admire that!

TROIS OISEAUX - Kimber said...

I LOVE the colours in your BSJ - it's looking good!

The Sugarbelly is for back and belly support and for after the baby - it helps your tummy go down - apparently other cultures use this sort of system.

My GP sent a referral request to my old OB (a few months ago) but I have yet to hear anything so as I enter my third trimester I will be OB-less... I am freaking out here! (my GP stops prenatal care at 30 weeks - and he is a great GP not so much with the OB stuff....).

Good luck with the slow month - I admire that!

adrienne said...

i know i have 10 things that i have never used but the challenge will be in finding them!

Amelah said...

Hey what do you mean, link it? You mean to this post?
I will definately take a look and see what I have at home
whats with the posting of the pregnant woman parking post?
you didnt mention anything about it....?

I definately want to learn to make the sweater thing! it seem so cool

Nicole said...

Sean looks adorable in his tigger towel. I love dressing my son in bright colors.

I do not know if I could find 10 unused items but I will definitely try.

Jennifer Lori said...

I'm willing to bet I have at least 10 things I've never opened...

hey if you find any good slow cooker recipes, let me know please!

Laura said...

Wow, I love Sean's adorable towel-wrapper. Please take him swimming more often, so we can see that cute picture again and again!

Ammerins said...

Posted my ten items!

http://dutchknittingkitten.blogspot.com/2008/03/slow.html

I've already used 2 of them, so I'm off to a good start!

Michele said...

I get all excited to buy something that I am surprised when I don't use it right away. Like the knitting books I buy. I get them pick out my fav pattern and say that my next project will be this. But it never comes, there are always so much else on my list!

g-girl said...

glad everything made it to you safely. have you tried any of the recipes yet? i'm going to see if I have 10 unused items for the contest but who knows. I tend to give that stuff away!

adrienne said...

ok, robyn. i'm in. here are my 10 "new" things.

http://bellybuttonknits.blogspot.com/2008/03/ten-new-things.html

g-girl said...

okay, here are my ten things!!
http://g-girl-knittingadventures.
blogspot.com/2008/03/
spring-cleaning.html

Firefly said...

Here's the link:
http://fireflyadventures.blogspot.com/2008/03/jeez.html

Bea said...

Posted!!

http://bea-blacksheep.blogspot.com/2008/03/picturetopic-heavy-post.html

Nichole D. said...

Here's mine, even though I missed the contest by a day. Thought I would still share!

http://saving-nine.blogspot.com/2008/03/ten-things.html

Tara said...

Ah, I heart Chapters. Good motivation!

Tara said...

Um, I experienced a computer glitch (sorry if this is posted twice). I SAID! I heart Chapters. Excellent motivation for a slow month.